Dispelling the Myths: Calling for Sex-Specific Reporting of Trial Results
- Flow Diversion in Aneurysms Trial: the Design of the FIAT study. RAYMOND, J.; DARSAUT, T. E.; GUILBERT, F.; WEILL, A.; ROY, D. // Interventional Neuroradiology;jun2011, Vol. 17 Issue 2, p147
Intracranial aneurysms, particularly large and giant, fusiform or recurrent aneurysms are increasingly treated with flow diverters (FDs), a recently introduced and approved neurovascular device. While some rare cases may not be treated any other way, in most patients a more conventional,...
- Amicus' Phase III with Amigal Short, Sweet; no Fabrazyme. Osborne, Randy // BioWorld Today;6/23/2009, Vol. 20 Issue 119, p1
The article reports on the Phase III trial using Amigal against Fabry disease to be conducted by Amicus Therapeutics Inc. It is noted that many expected that the company would not be able to push through with the third phase of the 60-patient, six-month trial. Under the trial, patients will be...
- From the Editor. Peach, Richard K. // American Journal of Speech-Language Pathology;May2004, Vol. 13 Issue 2, p98
This article addresses some concerns on the utilization of randomized clinical trials (RCT) to determine the efficacy of clinical interventions in speech-language pathology. The author notes that in order to improve the overall credibility of the positive outcomes associated with many...
- A Clinical Trial on the Treatment of Chronic Rhinosinusitis with Continuous Ultrasound. NAGHDI, SOOFIA; ANSARI, NOUREDDIN NAKHOSTIN; FARHADI, MOHAMMAD // Journal of Physical Therapy Science;2008, Vol. 20 Issue 4, p233
The article focuses on a clinical trial examining the effectiveness of continuous ultrasound on the treatment of patients with chronic maxillary and frontal sinusitis. It mentions that the study was conducted on thirty adults with chronic rhinosinusitis and therapeutic continuous ultrasound was...
- Analysis and Interpretation of Treatment Effects in Subgroups of Patients in Randomized Clinical Trials. Yusuf, Salim; Wittes, Janet; Probstfield, Jeffrey; Tyroler, Herman A. // JAMA: Journal of the American Medical Association;7/3/91, Vol. 266 Issue 1, p93
Discusses common drawbacks associated with analysis and interpretation of treatment effects in subgroups of patients in randomized clinical trials. Purpose of subgroup analysis; Comparison between proper and improper subgroups; Recommendations.
- Strategy for randomised clinical trials in rare cancers. Say-Beng Tan; Dear, Keith B. G.; Bruzzi, Paolo; Machin, David // BMJ: British Medical Journal (International Edition);7/5/2003, Vol. 327 Issue 7405, p47
Discusses a strategy for randomised clinical trials in rare cancers. Need for randomised trials to establish that treatments are effective; Problems of small trials; Designing a new trial; Prior and posterior distribution.
- Detecting an Overall Survival Benefit that Is Derived From Progression-Free Survival. Broglio, Kristine R.; Berry, Donald A. // JNCI: Journal of the National Cancer Institute;12/2/2009, Vol. 101 Issue 23, p1642
Background: Whether progression-free survival (PFS) or overall survival (OS) is the more appropriate endpoint in clinical trials of metastatic cancer is controversial. In some disease and treatment settings, an improvement in PFS does not result in an improved OS.
- Rotigotine: A Viewpoint by Tomislav Babic. Babic, Tomislav // CNS Drugs;2005, Vol. 19 Issue 11, p983
The article comments on the therapeutic use of rotigotine for the treatment advanced Parkinson's disease and for the initial treatment of early-stage disease. Two randomized, clinical trials in patients with early Parkinson's disease found that rotigotine significantly improved activities of...
- Characteristics of Clinical Trials Registered in ClinicalTrials.gov, 2007-2010. Califf, Robert M.; Zarin, Deborah A.; Kramer, Judith M.; Sherman, Rachel E.; Aberle, Laura H.; Tasneem, Asba // JAMA: Journal of the American Medical Association;5/2/2012, Vol. 307 Issue 17, p1838
The article examines the basic characteristics of interventional clinical trials in cardiovascular, mental health and oncology therapeutic areas contained in the ClinicalTrials.gov database of the U.S. The discrepancies between guidelines-based treatment recommendations and evidence from...