Medication Literacy Is a 2-Way Street
- Discontinuing antidepressants requires special care. Guthrie, Ellen Whipple // Pharmacy Today;Nov2007, Vol. 13 Issue 11, Special section p24
The article offers information about antidepressant discontinuation syndrome. It is stated that the syndrome occurs in at least 20% of patients after an abrupt discontinuation of antidepressant medications for about 6 weeks. To minimize the symptoms of such syndrome, gradual tampering is...
- The Challenges of Error-Free Medication Administration in the Home. Giordano, Melaine // AARC Times;Sep2009, Vol. 33 Issue 9, p30
The article addresses the challenges of administering medications at home. It offers tips about dealing with dexterity limitations, including the use of spacers to provide patients time to properly administer their metered-dose inhalers and the use of hand-held nebulizers. For the visually...
- Analysis of medication management activities for home-dwelling patients. Triller, Darren M.; Clause, Steven L.; Domarew, Christopher // American Journal of Health-System Pharmacy;12/1/2002, Vol. 59 Issue 23, p2356
Focuses on medication management activities for home-dwelling patients. Patient counseling by pharmacists; Centralization of order entry; Medication repackaging for optimal medication recognition and accountability.
- Pharmacist time requirements for counseling in an outpatient pharmacy. Yongtae Oh; McCombs, Jeffrey S.; Cheng, Rebecca A.; Johnson, Kathleen A. // American Journal of Health-System Pharmacy;12/1/2002, Vol. 59 Issue 23, p2346
Studies the correlation between the time required for pharmacists to counsel patients and the characteristics of the services provided. Average time of an encounter consisting of patient contact to monitor adverse effects, duplicate therapy or compliance; Feasibility of fee-for-service payment...
- Your New Year's resolution: Expand patient-focused care. McGivney, Melissa Somma // Pharmacy Today;Jan2008, Vol. 14 Issue 1, p43
The article offers tips on how pharmacists may improve a patient's overall medication use and health care through medication therapy management (MTM).
- Mouth plant. // Drug Topics;7/19/93, Vol. 137 Issue 14, p25
Presents an anecdote about how pharmacist Sue G. Gratz's customer took plant seeds mistaking them for his asthma medication Proventil Repetabs.
- Detection of drug related problems in an interdisciplinary health care model for rural areas in Germany. Fiss, Thomas; Ritter, Christoph; Alte, Dietrich; van den Berg, Neeltje; Hoffmann, Wolfgang // Pharmacy World & Science;Oct2010, Vol. 32 Issue 5, p566
Objective The disparity between an increasing complexity of patients' treatment and the declining number of general practitioners (GP) require action. The AGnES-concept (general practitioner-relieving, community-based, e-health assisted, systemic intervention) is based on the delegation of...
- Leki oryginalne i generyczne w farmakoterapii, czyli dlaczego potrzebna jest indywidualizacja farmakoterapii. Woroń, Jarosław // Experimental & Clinical Diabetology / Diabetologia Doswiadczalna;2011, Vol. 11 Issue 1, p241
Effectiveness and safety of pharmacotherapy depends to a large extent on the choice of drugs. Due to necessity of reducing the cost of running the entire health system In many countries more and more generic drugs are being registered In order to make them more accessible to a greater number of...
- Dexrazoxane: Novel agent for chemotherapy extravasation. Tanzi, Maria G. // Pharmacy Today;Nov2007, Vol. 13 Issue 11, Special section p29
The article presents a study which examines the efficacy of dexrazoxane for the treatment of extravasation resulting from I.V. anthracycline chemotherapy. It is stated that a total of 80 patients were assessed for safety and 57 for the efficacy. Results revealed that 85% of the patients...