The Year Ahead
- Out from Under. Cleaveland, Carrie // Fire Chief;Jul2008, Vol. 52 Issue 7, p82
The article provides information on the efforts made by the Howe Springs volunteer fire company in South Carolina on March 15, 2008. It states that on that day, rough storms and a tornado brought all their rescue training to the forefront. It gives the detailed story on the rescue operation of a...
- Denmark visit for international exercise. // Fire;Apr2013, Vol. 105 Issue 1356, p30
The article reports on Lincolnshire, England Fire and Rescue Service's (FSR) participation in a 2013 international exercise in Denmark to test the European Union's response to a natural disaster. Together with other members of Britain's International Search and Rescue team, six members of...
- Remembering the great floods of 1953. // Fire;Apr2013, Vol. 105 Issue 1356, p32
The article discusses Lincolnshire, England Fire and Rescue Service's (FRS) commemoration of the 60th year of the 1953 floods that decimated the East Coast. Among the events lined up was a special workshop where parents and primary students could sign up for Floodline Warnings Direct and the...
- Resilient responses. Sloggett, Dave // Fire;Apr2013, Vol. 105 Issue 1356, p50
The article cites the importance of airborne support to provide additional resilience to a fire and rescue service in the event of a major terrorist attack. It notes the persistent threat of a mass casualty terrorist event based on England's National Risk Register and the damage wrought by...
- FRI Preview: Rethinking Fire-Department Performance. Richter, Keith // Fire Chief Expert Blog;6/27/2012, p1
The article offers information on the Fire Rescue International presentation "Rethinking Fire Department Performance Through 'Optimal Outcome' Program," held on August 2, 2012.
- Training benefits evident in successful high-angle rescue. Reimer Sr., David J. // Fire Engineering;Dec96, Vol. 149 Issue 12, p10
Details the rescue of man who fell from an abandoned stone quarry in Kutztown, Pennsylvania by members of the Kutztown Fire Department. Collaboration with the police department; Strategies in extricating the patient from the quarry; Lessons for firefighters from the incident.
- COMPLEX EXTRICATION SAVES WORKER. BOGUCKI, SANDY; CONE, DAVID C. // Fire Engineering;Jul2001, Vol. 154 Issue 7, p37
Discusses the role of the Clinton (Connecticut) Fire Department in rescuing a man whose arm had been trapped in a corkscrew conveyor. Technical difficulties in extricating the victim; Possible amputation of the victim's arm at the shoulder; Situations that may best be handled by only partial...
- Exposing the Knight Review. // Fire;Jul/Aug2013, Vol. 107 Issue 1360, p3
An introduction is presented in which the editor discusses various topics within the issue including fire and rescue authorities, savings of fire and rescue services and fire industry of Great Britain.
- ST. LOUIS CONTRACTOR PROVIDES A BASE FOR CITY'S RESCUE EFFORT. // ENR: Engineering News-Record;3/18/2002, Vol. 248 Issue 10, p23
Focuses on the contractors' response to the request of aid for the rescue and recovery training of the fire department in Saint Louis, Missouri. Provision of materials for planning training exercises; Placement of a representative sample of a skip-joist high-rise slab system; Initiation of...