Committing to Wellness
- National Diabetes Study. Zipes, Douglas // Medical Update;2004, Vol. 30 Issue 4, p4
Reports on the launch of the Schools Tackle Activity, Nutrition and Diabetes Prevention program aimed at determining whether changes in physical education activities and cafeteria food selections can prevent diabetes at Selma Middle School in North Carolina. Participants of the study; Plan of...
- A New Civil War? King, Paul // FoodService Director;2/15/2008, Vol. 21 Issue 2, p23
The author reflects on school nutrition in the U.S. He mentions Katie Wilson, the incoming president of the School Nutrition Association, and praises her for her passion for school foodservice and her willingness to do whatever it takes to achieve the goals she sees as vital to the success of...
- ASFSA PRESSES SCHOOLS ON ALLERGIES: School fdsvc. tasked with food allergy prevention. // FoodService Director;9/15/2001, Vol. 14 Issue 9, p22
Reports on the guidelines developed by the American School Food Services Association for preventing food allergy from school meals. Reason for developing the guidelines; How to take responsibility for preventing allergic reactions to school meals; Advice for students with allergies.
- SCHOOL LUNCH PROGRAM: Health researchers slam a la carte menus in school f/s... // FoodService Director;8/15/2003, Vol. 16 Issue 8, p16
Provides information on a study which revealed the effect of serving a la carte menu in schools on the nutrition of students. Comparison of the dietary habits of students who were served with the menu from those who were not; Types of a la carte menu items that should be promoted; Factors...
- Calidad de la dieta, sobrepeso y obesidad en estudiantes universitarios. Izaga, M. Arroyo; Rocandio Pablo, A. Ma.; Alday, L. Ansotegui; Apalauza, E. Pascual; Beti, I. Salces; Ochoa, E. Rebato // Nutricion Hospitalaria;nov-dic2006, Vol. 21 Issue 6, p673
Objective: To assess diet quality and to examine the association between diet quality and overweight and obesity in a group of university students. Subjects: Our simple consisted of 749 volunteer students of the State University of the Basque Country (68% females and 32% males). Mean age was...
- Healthy Lunchrooms For Healthy Students. Connolly, Sally Ann // Education Week;4/3/2013, Vol. 32 Issue 27, p24
A letter to the editor is presented in on the topic of school lunch nutrition and its impact on the health of students.
- SOUP it up! // FoodService Director;11/15/2002, Vol. 15 Issue 11, p55
Reports on the popularity of soup among meal producers and consumers in the U.S. Variety of soup offered at Fairport Central School in New York; Favorite soup of students; Comments from Steve Myers, executive chef at the University of Michigan-Ann Arbor.
- District and Hospital Partner to Bring Healthy Foods to Students. // FoodService Director;3/15/2010, Vol. 23 Issue 3, p11
The article discusses the collaboration of the foodservice divisions of Cooperstown Central Schools and Mary Imogene Bassett Hospital in serving healthy lunch menus to students.
- In brief. // Food Management;Dec99, Vol. 34 Issue 12, p12
Presents news items concerning the food service industry in the United States. Includes the popularity of the University of Southern California's catering facility as site for parties and special events; CulinArt's appointment of Tom Eich as president; Orion Food Systems' plan of opening four...