Big dreams stem from small particles
- The only way is up. // Asia Weekly;9/29/2008, Vol. 2 Issue 38, p19
The article features the proposed space elevator in Japan. It says that the elevator carriage would stretch 22,000 miles from the earth's surface to a satellite docking station, which is drawn by carbon nanotube cables and possibly powered by a system similar to the Japanese bullet train....
- On the Way Up. Tullis, Karen // Buildings;Oct99, Vol. 93 Issue 10, p38
Discusses the challenge of balancing the simultaneous demands of the elevator and surrounding lobby. Importance of the choice of supplier and materials; Comparison of plastic laminates and stainless steel; Benefit that a supplier can offer a building owner.
- Cathedrals of the Plains. Silver, Kathleen L. // North American Review;Jul/Aug93, Vol. 278 Issue 4, p9
This article narrates the author's experience of her Nebraska grain elevators trip for a background on her novel about architects. Influence of grain elevators on architecture; Background information on grain elevators; Visit to Greenwood and the liability issue on grain dust explosions;...
- 14 Conveying Equipment. // National Construction Estimator;2010, Issue 58, p492
The article lists the labor, material, and labor costs for the construction of conveying equipments which includes dumbwaiters, passenger elevators, and hoists.
- DEVON TOWER REACHES PEAK. // Elevator World;Dec2011, Vol. 59 Issue 12, p24
The article reports on the construction of the peak of the 50-story Devon Tower in downtown Oklahoma City, Oklahoma that has been reached by workers ahead of schedule and under budget in September 2011.
- Service Ups and Downs. Hoyng, Rodney // Buildings;Mar1999, Vol. 93 Issue 3, p34
Provides tips for facility managers on how to negotiate the best elevator service contract. Factors to consider in dealing with elevator performance; Importance of benchmark standards; Ensuring communication with the maintenance service provider.
- Planned synchronous hydraulic lift keeps Metro on track. Schneider, Richard T.; Faragher, Rob // Hydraulics & Pneumatics (1996);May97, Vol. 50 Issue 5, p6
Provides an overview of the development of a synchronous hydraulic lift at the L'Enfant Plaza Station in Washington D.C.'s Metropolitan Area Transit Authority (WMATA) system. Specifications of the system; Companies working with WMATA for the project; Accounts of the actual set-up phase of the...
- EKLUNDS CAB INTERIORS FOR HOUSTON'S BLOCK 93. // Elevator World;Jan2012, Vol. 60 Issue 1, p26
The article reports that Eklund has furnished and installed 18 new cab interiors for the elevator construction of Block 93 in Houston, Texas.
- World's fastest elevator. // Engineering Review (Asianet-Pakistan);5/16/2014, Vol. 39 Issue 10, p2
The article reports that Japanese engineering and electronics company Hitachi has developed fastest elevator in the World for the building CTF Center in Guangzhou, China.