How to Give Great Speeches
- Avoid weakening your message. // American Speaker;May2013, p4
The article presents information on comments that professional speakers might encounter that can weaken their message, adapted from the article "FIRST-PERSON: 7 Mistakes in Public Speaking," by Chuck Lawless.
- Focus on the message, rather than yourself. // American Speaker;May2013, p9
The article offers a reminder for professional speakers to focus on the message, rather than themselves.
- In speechwriting, know your speaker and audience. Slaske, Jerry // Writer (Kalmbach Publishing Co.);Jan2008, Vol. 121 Issue 1, p13
In this article the author discusses the importance of getting to know the speaker that you are writing a speech for. Slaske discusses the fear that people have over writing speeches and how knowing the speaker can ease that fear and make the speech easier to write. Also suggested is reading the...
- From Here to Eternity: A guide to speakers. Seigel, Judy // Women Artists News;Spring/Summer90, Vol. 15 Issue 1/2, p19
The article presents the author's guidelines for speakers. She notes that there are different combination of the type of ideas and delivery which constitute to a great speech. She cites that there are good ideas but bad delivery which is predominant in speakers who swallow their words or speaks...
- Make the Most of Conference Speaking - OnsiteTips for Success. Maxey, Cyndi; O'Connor, Kevin E. // Leading Edge;Summer2007, Vol. 4 Issue 3, p4
The article offers tips on how to make the most of conference speaking. It is advisable to consider interviewing by phone some of the audience members and ask for their greatest challenge, why they are coming to the meeting, and what they think the audience needs to hear. Speakers may check out...
- Provoke Your Audience! ROTMAN, ETHAN // Interpreter (National Association for Interpretation);Nov2008, Vol. 4 Issue 6, p21
The article offers tips for effective speaking engagements. For every presentation, information is considered an essential part, however, effective speakers offer ways to spark the imagination of their audience. One common mistake of a speaker is drowning audiences in details without providing...
- Recipe for an Awesome Business Speech. KIRCHNER, MATTHEW // Products Finishing;Mar2010, Vol. 74 Issue 6, p42
The article provides tips on how to deliver a good business speech. It indicates that a good speaker shares personal stories, uses humor, and weaves references to human interest stories and current events. It notes that the best speakers involve the audience through asking questions, soliciting...
- How To Deliver A Speech. Henning, James H. // Today's Speech;Jan1955, Vol. 3 Issue 1, p3
This article presents information on how to deliver a speech. The problem of delivering a speech, in which the speaker should chose a subject he wants to talk about, and must be prepared in such a way that he wants to talk about it to a particular audience, outline it carefully, learn his...
- HOW TO MEET UNEXPECTED SPEECH SITUATIONS. Runkel, Howard W. // Today's Speech;Nov1957, Vol. 5 Issue 4, p9
Provides tips to speakers in adapting to unexpected speech situations. Classification of unforeseen occurrences that could affect speakers; Suggestions for reacting to unexpected speech situations; Impact of careless or irresponsible programming on public speaking.