Good, Bad & Ugly
- Chapter Five: Where the Job Can Lead. Quinlan, Kathryn A. // Food Service Manager;1999, p36
This chapter describes the opportunities for advancement in the food service management industry. Food service managers advance as they gain experience. Managers can advance by taking jobs with larger dining places, or may oversee several hospitals, schools or restaurants at one time. Large...
- Bright ideas to improve your business. Schuster, Karolyn // Food Management;Mar1999, Vol. 34 Issue 3, p36
Presents six proven strategies school food service directors (FSDs) can use to maximize use of their resources, develop their employees and streamline their organizations. Includes building relationships between foodservice staff and students; Encouraging employees' professional involvement...
- What to Know: ACAP mtg. explores campus cash-ops. // FoodService Director;01/15/2000, Vol. 13 Issue 1, p14
Offers pieces of advice on designing or remodeling a campus foodservice facility. Primary considerations; Steps involved in developing the operation; Significance of customer relations to the success of the business; How to ensure faster services.
- Runs Downtown Restaurant, Too: Knoxville, TN, Schools Feed Community Groups. Bond, Marian // FoodService Director;05/15/99, Vol. 12 Issue 5, p50
Focuses on the food service management at the Knox County School District in Tennessee. How the district operates; Evening meals provided by the district; How the district runs a downtown restaurant; Menus offered in the restaurant.
- STEAL THIS IDEA. // FoodService Director;10/15/2008, Vol. 21 Issue 10, p32
This article offers insights from food service employees on improving the service provided. According to Dorie Fowls of Fort Wayne Community Schools, they offer snacks at a discounted price and encourage principals to use money from their discretionary fund to purchase the snacks and pass them...
- NEWS. // FoodService Director;2/15/2005, Vol. 18 Issue 2, p8
Presents updates on the food service industry in the U.S. as of February 15, 2005. Challenges faced by school food service directors; Information on the winners of the Foodservice Achievement Management Excellence Award.
- TAKE-OUT IN SCHOOLS: Tactics for participation. Chater, Amanda // FoodService Director;05/15/2001, Vol. 14 Issue 5, p58
Suggests tips to on how can food service facilities in schools increase their diners. Employment of mobile serving carts; Packaging of take-out foods; Management of trash problems; Issue of safety and sanitation.
- Labor, menu mgmt. are top concerns. // FoodService Director;12/15/98, Vol. 11 Issue 12, p68
Reports on a 1998 compensation study in college food service establishments in the United States by the `FoodService Director' periodical. Comparative earnings of men and women; Decline in the number of students working in dining units; Problems in maintaining operating expenses; Profile of...
- Women's pay rises 3.7% on '98 W-2s. // FoodService Director;12/15/98, Vol. 11 Issue 12, p69
Reports on a study by the `FoodService Director' periodical on the compensation of school food service operators in the United States. Increase of 3.7 percent in the salaries of women; Industry challenges according to food service executives; Profile of Dennis Barrett, executive director of...