COMMENTARY: Warfarin reduced major stroke more than aspirin in elderly patients with atrial fibrillation in primary care
- How Should Results from Completed Studies Influence Ongoing Clinical Trials? Laupacis, Andreas; Connolly, Stuart J.; Gent, Michael; Roberts, Robin S.; Cairns, John; Joyner, Campbell // Annals of Internal Medicine;11/15/91, Vol. 115 Issue 10, p818
Presents a study which evaluated the efficacy of warfarin or aspirin or both in decreasing the risk of embolic events in patients with nonrheumatic atrial fibrillation. Description of atrial fibrillation and the clinical studies; Influence of completed studies on ongoing clinical trials.
- Clopidogrel + aspirin in atrial fibrillation. // Neurology Alert;Aug2009 Clinical Briefs in, Vol. 14 Issue 8, p15
The article discusses the effect of clopidogrel (CPG) when combined with aspirin (ASA) in the treatment of patients with atrial fibrillation (FIB). It references a study by The ACTIVE Investigators, published in the 2009 issue of "N Engl J Med." Some FIB patients with indications for coumadin...
- Warfarin vs Clopidogrel Plus Aspirin for Atrial Fibrillation. DiMarco, John P. // Clinical Cardiology Alert;Jan2008, Vol. 27 Issue 1, p4
The atrial fibrillation clopidogrel trial with Irbesartan for Prevention of Vascular Events (ACTIVE W) is a noninferiority trial comparing anticoagulation with warfarin to therapy with aspirin plus clopidogrel for stroke prevention in patients with atrial fibrillation. ACTIVE W enrolled 6706...
- Warfarin vs Aspirin for Atrial Fibrillation in the Elderly. Crawford, Michael H. // Clinical Cardiology Alert;Oct2007, Vol. 26 Issue 10, p73
OVER HALF OF PATIENTS WITH ATRIAL FIBRILLATION ARE OVER age 75 years, yet there is concern about the risk of serious hemorrhage in these patients on warfarin. Thus, the results of the Birmingham Atrial Fibrillation Treatment of the Aged (BAFTA) study are of interest. BAFTA was a prospective...
- The safety and adequacy of antithrombotic therapy for atrial fibrillation: a regional cohort study. Burton, Chris; Isles, Chris; Norrie, John; Hanson, Ruth; Grubb, Elaine // British Journal of General Practice;Sep2006, Vol. 56 Issue 530, p697
Background Atrial fibrillation is a common problem in older people. The evidence base for the safety of warfarin and aspirin in atrial fibrillation is largely derived from selective research studies and secondary care. Further assessment of the safety of warfarin in older people with atrial...
- Warfarin use among ambulatory patients with nonvalvular atrial fibrillation: The anticoagulation... Go, Alan S.; Hylek, Elaine M. // Annals of Internal Medicine;12/21/99, Vol. 131 Issue 12, p927
Assesses the rates and predictors of warfarin use in ambulatory patients with nonvalvular atrial fibrillation. Prevalence and determinants of warfarin use; Risk factor for stroke; Necessity of interventions to increase use of warfarin.
- Rivaroxaban vs. Warfarin for Stroke Prevention in Patients with Nonvalvular Atrial Fibrillation. Darby-Stewart, Andrea; Dachs, Robert; Graber, Mark A. // American Family Physician;3/15/2012, Vol. 85 Issue 6, p581
A review of the article "Rivaroxaban versus warfarin in nonvalvular atrial fibrillation," by M. R. Patel, J. Garg and colleagues, which appeared in the 2011 issue of the "New England Journal of Medicine," is presented.
- Warfarin. // Reactions Weekly;6/2/2012, Issue 1404, p41
The article describes the case of a 31-year-old woman who developed intracerebral haemorrhage after treatment with warfarin for atrial fibrillation and mitral valve replacement.
- Warfarin. // Reactions Weekly;11/13/2010, Issue 1327, p37
The article describes the case of a man with a history of atrial fibrillation and chronic hip and back pain, who developed a large retroperitoneal haermorrhage resulting to haermorrhagic shock while receiving treatment with warfarin.