Preendoscopic serologic test with duodenal biopsy in high-risk patients had high sensitivity and low specificity for celiac disease: COMMENTARY
- Preendoscopic serologic test with duodenal biopsy in high-risk patients had high sensitivity and low specificity for celiac disease. // ACP Journal Club;Sept/Oct2007, Vol. 147 Issue 2, p53
The article discusses the effectiveness of a clinical decision tool (CDT) based on preendoscopic serologic testing with duodenal biopsy for high-risk patients suffering from celiac disease. It is stated that the CDT based on preendoscopic serologic testing combined with duodenal biopsy for...
- Chronic diarrhoea in a teenager. Saxena, Sonia; Mitton, Sally G.; Pollok, Richard // BMJ: British Medical Journal (International Edition);9/27/2008, Vol. 337 Issue 7672, p758
The article presents issues which should be covered when evaluating a patient with chronic diarrhoea. It is noted that chronic diarrhoea may indicate coeliac or inflammatory bowel disease. Obtaining a history from the patient, including pain, diet changes and family history is recommended....
- Where Are All Those Patients With Celiac Disease? Green, Peter H. R. // American Journal of Gastroenterology;Jul2007, Vol. 102 Issue 7, p1461
Celiac disease is considered to occur in âˆ¼1% of the U.S. population. It is, however, markedly underdiagnosed. In this issue, Fasano and his colleagues have continued their work in demonstrating just where all these patients are. Their current study explores a case finding policy in the...
- Hypoalbuminaemia and coeliac disease. Spiller, Robin // Gut;Jul2008, Vol. 57 Issue 7, p922
A quiz concerning the diagnosis of a 23-year-old woman with coeliac disease, positive serology and typical duodenal histology is presented.
- Laboratory diagnostics for celiac disease: The new ESPGHAN guidelines can be incorporated into diagnostic criteria. Gosink, Jacqueline // MLO: Medical Laboratory Observer;Mar2012, Vol. 44 Issue 3, p30
The article presents information related to diagnosis of celiac disease (CD). It has been stated that CD is an autoimmune disease which is characterized by inflammation of small intestine. It has been informed that a revised set of guidelines has been issued by the European Society of Paediatric...
- Celiac Disease Association. Rutledge, Barbara J. // Dermatology Times;Aug2003, Vol. 24 Issue 8, p14
Discusses the risk of patients with psoriasis for celiac disease. Description of celiac disease; Basis for diagnosing celiac disease; Examination of the specific serologic markers of celiac disease; Association of serum antibodies with celiac disease.
- Coeliac disease. van der Merwe, E. // South African Gastroenterology Review;Apr2014, Vol. 12 Issue 1, p32
The article focuses on the management and treatment of patients diagnosed with coeliac disease. It states that these patients experience with chronic fatigue, malabsorption and nutrient deficiencies. It further discusses diagnosis of coeliac disease, its clinical re-evaluation and treatment options.
- Coeliac disease and risk of sepsis. Ludvigsson, J. F.; Olén, O.; Bell, M.; Ekbom, A.; Montgomery, S. M. // Gut;Aug2008, Vol. 57 Issue 8, p1074
Objective: To examine the risk of subsequent sepsis in individuals with coeliac disease. Design: We used Swedish national health registers to identify 15 325 individuals with a diagnosis of coeliac disease (1964-2003) and 14 494 inpatient reference individuals. Cox regression estimated the...
- Undiagnosed coeliac disease at age seven: population based prospective birth cohort study. Bingley, Polly J; Williams, Alistair J K; Norcross, Alastair J; Unsworth, D Joe; Lock, Robert J; Ness, Andrew R; Jones, Richard W // BMJ: British Medical Journal (International Edition);2/7/2004, Vol. 328 Issue 7435, p322
Reports on a population based prospective birth cohort study on undiagnosed coeliac disease at age seven. Number of patients studied; How coeliac disease is uncommon in childhood which leads to missed diagnosis; Symptoms.