A NEW MUSCLE TO FLEX
- The buzz on working smarter. Marshall, Alexander // Glamour;Sep2002, Vol. 100 Issue 9, p176
Provides guidelines on industrial relations. Discussion of assisting and slaving; Importance of communication in work; Consideration of office chemistry in recruiting employees.
- HUMAN SIDE. Dreyfack, Raymond // Plant Engineering;Oct2005, Vol. 59 Issue 10, p23
Suggests that effective hiring practices prevents industrial relations problems in the long term. Content of the report "HR Matters," published by the Personnel Policy Service Inc.; Ways of eliminating recurring personnel problems; Protection provided by the Family and Medical Leave Act.
- Hiring: Background checks. Milito, Elizabeth // Hudson Valley Business Journal;9/1/2008, Vol. 19 Issue 35, p26
The article discusses the importance of conducting background checks for employees. Employers are legally required to conduct background checks for certain jobs. Depending on the company's industry, one may need to conduct background checks and may be prevented by statute from hiring employees...
- YOU'RE FIRED. // Business Journal Serving Fresno & the Central San Joaquin Valley;7/14/2006, Issue 323582, p9
The article focuses on the agony felt by employers when firing employees. Employers can try to protect themselves by telling employees about their at will policy when they hire them. They may also avoid saying that they use progressive discipline. The way progressive discipline works is that if...
- trial periods on trial? you be the judge. Hannan, John; Simpson, Lauren // Human Resources Magazine;Jun/Jul2011, Vol. 16 Issue 2, p30
This article discusses the 90-day trial period law in New Zealand in which companies are allowed to terminate the services of an employee within or at the end of the trial period. The law took effect on April 1, 2011 and is applicable even to companies with more than 20 employees. The dismissal...
- Start New Hires with Clear Communication. Adubato, Steve // njbiz;9/5/2005, Vol. 18 Issue 36, p13
Answers several questions about employee hiring. Mistakes made by organizations in hiring; Tips for bringing an employee on board and establishing a solid communication foundation; Importance of letting other employees meet with the new hire.
- Seniority is no substitute for experience. // Plant Engineering;Sep2004, Vol. 58 Issue 9, p28
Advises a manager on how to deal with a forklift operator applicant in the United States. Seniority experience of the applicant; Importance of proper training and experience when operating a forklift; Forklift training.
- THE SELF-CONCEPT IN MANAGEMENT. Charles, A. W. // SAM Advanced Management Journal (00360805);Spring71, Vol. 36 Issue 2, p32
Focuses on the significance of self-concept in management using the behavior science concepts. Impact of unrest in an organization; Benefits of self-concept assessment during employee hiring; Description of an employment process in a certain organization; Discussion on self-concept; Factors...
- Attract Top Candidates by Putting Them in Control. McCagg, Brin // Banking New York;Sep2012, Vol. 24, p28
The article discusses empowerment as a means to attract talents to the company which can be attained by providing information and control, one of which is through a web-based talent community. Topics include the downside of the conventional methods of hiring which is based on a job opening, and...