No Subsidies for Free TV
- Al-Jazeera: media pariah or pioneer? Higgins, Jonathan // Satellite Broadband;Apr2002, Vol. 3 Issue 4, p20
Comments on Al-Jazeera, the Arabic television news channel covering the U.S. war on terrorism in Afghanistan. Origins of the news channel; Revenue sources of the channel; Relationship with Cable News Network; Allegations against Al-Jazeera.
- CNN to share Afghan access. Bernstein, Paula // Daily Variety;10/9/2001, Vol. 273 Issue 27, p1
Reports the decision of Cable News Network (CNN) regarding the right for exclusivity in covering events in Afghanistan. Agreement between CNN and Al-Jazeera Channel; Sanctions for parties using Al-Jazeera footage without consent; Views of other television networks on the decision of CNN.
- Cable Plays It Cool at CES--Smartly. Gibbons, Kent // Multichannel News;1/15/2007, Vol. 28 Issue 3, p20
The author reflects on the participation shown by cable operators in the 2007 International Consumer Electronic Show (CES) in the U.S. He stresses that satellite television (TV) was considered as the top consumer-electronics retail product. The author argues that cable operators have introduced...
- Antarctica TV? Rigual, Luis R.; Bustos, Sergio R. // Latin Trade (English);Sep98, Vol. 6 Issue 9, p18
Reports on the availability of DIRECTV satellite service from Galaxy Latin America in Antarctica.
- In Asia, it's battle of the broadbands. Halligan, Fionnuala // Variety;3/13/95, Vol. 358 Issue 6, p46
Focuses on the competition between the cable television networks Star TV and MTV in Asia. Star TV's Channel V's reinvention of strategy; MTV Asia's launching of two channels from its base in Singapore.
- DirecTV boosts Eye on People. Richmond, Ray // Variety;07/21/97, Vol. 367 Issue 11, p21
Reports on satellite television broadcaster DirecTV's addition of CBS Eye on People cable network.
- Digital Stream into Italy. Zecchinelli, Cecilia // Variety;04/13/98, Vol. 370 Issue 9, p25
Focuses on the start of digital satellite television broadcasting of the Stream company in Italy. Details on the digital satellite broadcasting; Information on Stream company; Comment from director Tomaso Lazzari.
- Satellite Systems. // Consumer Reports Buying Guide;1999, p38
Discusses the issues to consider in selecting small-dish satellite-television systems among DSS, Dish Network and Primestar.
- NAT'L GEO'S STAMPEDE. Grego, Melissa // Daily Variety;01/10/2001, Vol. 270 Issue 27, p15
Focuses on the launching of the cable and satellite network National Geographic Channel in the United States. Factor influencing the launch of the domestic operation; Contribution of the firm Weller/Grossman Productions; Plans of incorporating original and acquired editions for the series.
- Uplink. // Satellite Communications;Mar1998, Vol. 22 Issue 3, p8
Reports that the DirecTV satellite television service will offer subscribers free access to Encore movie channels or a monthly credit toward programming. Response to subscribers' annoyance over the deletion of the Encore group from programming in the spring of 1997. INSET: Reality check. by...