Cable Plays It Cool at CES--Smartly
- DirecTV has launched iTV in South America. // Caribbean Business;11/8/2001, Vol. 29 Issue 45, p23
Reports on the launching of DirecTV on interactive television (iTV) in South America. Services of DirecTV affiliates on electronic messages; Access of households on television banking, interactive video games and online shopping; Use of satellite maps.
- Al-Jazeera: media pariah or pioneer? Higgins, Jonathan // Satellite Broadband;Apr2002, Vol. 3 Issue 4, p20
Comments on Al-Jazeera, the Arabic television news channel covering the U.S. war on terrorism in Afghanistan. Origins of the news channel; Revenue sources of the channel; Relationship with Cable News Network; Allegations against Al-Jazeera.
- CNN to share Afghan access. Bernstein, Paula // Daily Variety;10/9/2001, Vol. 273 Issue 27, p1
Reports the decision of Cable News Network (CNN) regarding the right for exclusivity in covering events in Afghanistan. Agreement between CNN and Al-Jazeera Channel; Sanctions for parties using Al-Jazeera footage without consent; Views of other television networks on the decision of CNN.
- Game Over? // CableFAX Daily;4/10/2006, Vol. 17 Issue 69, p3
Reports on the appeal made by gaming companies for U.S. cable television networks to provide interactive gaming options. Emergence of gaming on television, broadband and mobile platforms; Advantage of cable networks in offering gaming options over satellite networks.
- Tata Sky platform adds choice to Indian pay-TV. Rodigues, Malika // Campaign;3/17/2006, Issue 11, p15
The article focuses on the direct broadcast satellite television market in India. With a national launch in a country of one billion people in little more than two months, one of the direct-to-home broadcaster Tata Sky's biggest hurdles is convincing existing distributors in India that it is not...
- China's Phoenix TV lands in U.S. market. Chung, Winnie // Hollywood Reporter -- International Edition;11/28/2000, Vol. 365 Issue 43, p67
Reports that Hong Kong-based mainland Chinese satellite provider STAR TV has entered the United State market with soft launch of its 24-hour Phoenix North America Chinese Channel. Availability of the channel through U.S. satellite platform DirecTV; Content of the channel.
- IPTV's biggest challenge: Growing the market. Vittore, Vince // Telephony;2/20/2006, Vol. 247 Issue 3, p10
The article reports the biggest challenge faced by the telecommunications industry on how to increase its market obtaining Internet Protocol Television service . The 12th annual report of the Federal Communications Commission on video competition resulted to a decline market share of the...
- TiVo tries VOD with IFC. Cohen, David S. // Daily Variety;8/15/2005, Vol. 288 Issue 30, p32
The article reports that TiVo Inc. is jumping into the Internet video-on-demand wars. The digital video recorder pioneer has pacted with the cable television network Independent Film Channel to test a service that will give subscribers the chance to download IFC shows via broadband Internet...
- Interactive TV scores. Jakel, Peter // Satellite Broadband;Nov2000, Vol. 1 Issue 3, p22
Reports that the Great Britain-based Sky Sports, which is part of the Sky Digital satellite television service, has created and launched an interactive sports television platform. Options for sports viewers; First interactive soccer match and first interactive television experiment in Europe;...