COMMENTARY: A risk model predicted major bleeding in older patients with atrial fibrillation receiving warfarin therapy
- A risk model predicted major bleeding in older patients with atrial fibrillation receiving warfarin therapy. // ACP Journal Club;Mar/Apr2007, Vol. 146 Issue 2, p52
The article presents information on a research study aimed to find out if a contemporary bleeding risk model (BRM) predicts major bleeding in older patients with atrial fibrillation (AF). The study was conducted on 26,345 patient with AF who were receiving warfarin therapy at hospital discharge....
- Is Warfarin Really Underused in Patients with Atrial Fibrillation? Weisbord, Steven D.; Whittle, Jeff; Brooks, Robert C. // JGIM: Journal of General Internal Medicine;Nov2001, Vol. 16 Issue 11, p743
CONTEXT: There is agreement that warfarin decreases stroke risk in patients with atrial fibrillation (AF), but prior studies suggest that warfarin is markedly underused, for unclear reasons. OBJECTIVE: To determine if warfarin is underused in the treatment of patients with atrial fibrillation....
- High-risk atrial fib: Adjusted-dose warfarin is still best treatment. // Geriatrics;Feb97, Vol. 52 Issue 2, p78
Presents an abstract of the article `Adjusted-dose warfarin versus low-intensity, fixed-dose warfarin plus aspirin for high-risk patients with atrial fibrillation: Stroke prevention in Atrial Fibrillation III randomised clinical trial,' published in a 1996 issue of the `Lancet' periodical.
- The challenges of oral anticoagulation. Deblinger, Larry // Patient Care;12/15/2000, Vol. 34 Issue 23, p33
Discusses the risk-benefit profile of oral anticoagulant drug, warfarin in preventing thromboembolism. Consequences of underuse of the drug by patients with nonvalvular atrial fibrillation; Clinical pharmacology; Initiation of warfarin therapy; Challenges of warfarin therapy management;...
- Population based study of use of anticoagulants among patients with atrial fibrillation in the... Sudlow, Mark; Rodgers, Helen // BMJ: British Medical Journal (International Edition);05/24/97, Vol. 314 Issue 7093, p1529
Studies the use of warfarin among patients with atrial fibrillation. Rates of patients treated with warfarin; Outcomes of warfarin therapy.
- UÄŒESTALOST KOMPLIKACIJA ANTITROMBOZNOG TRETMANA KOD BOLESNIKA SA ATRIJALNOM FIBRILACIJOM. ANUČIN, Slađana NOVAKOVIĆ; GNIP, Sanja; ČANAK, Višnja; RADOVIĆ, Pavica; KOVAČEV, Jelena; MITIĆ, Gorana // Medicinski Pregled / Medical Review;Nov/Dec2013, Vol. 66 Issue 11/12, p470
Introduction. Atrial fibrillation increases the risk of ischemic stroke five fold, while the application of long-term anticoagulant therapy is associated with the occurrence of hemorrhagic complications. The aim of our study was to evaluate the incidence of thrombotic and hemorrhagic...
- Improved therapies for atrial fibrillation on the horizon. LoBuono, Charlotte // Drug Topics;6/7/2004, Vol. 148 Issue 11, p33
Kevin Donahue, assistant professor of medicine at the Johns Hopkins University School of medicine, believes that approximately 2.5 million people in the U.S. have atrial fibrillation (AF) and more than ten percent of them are over 80 years old. AF increases the risk of stroke fivefold and is...
- Lifesaving drug underused, study finds. // Drug Topics;9/18/95, Vol. 139 Issue 18, p8
Reports that warfarin is being underprescribed and underdosed for atrial fibrillation patients because of misplaced physician concerns about bleeding, according to a government-funded study on stroke prevention.
- Warfarin therapy for atrial fibrillation in haemodialysis patients: mind the (evidence) gap. Szummer, Karolina; Carrero, Juan Jesús // Nephrology Dialysis Transplantation;Mar2015, Vol. 30 Issue 3, p337
No abstract available.