Testosterone Replacement Therapy: What We Know Is Not Yet Enough
- Urologists should spearhead testosterone trials. Bankhead, Charles // Urology Times;10/1/2004, Vol. 32 Issue 14, p16
Focuses on the need for urologists to conduct clinical trials to define the safety and benefits of testosterone therapy in older men in the U.S. Lack of information about the efficacy of testosterone supplementation and replacement; Treatment of clinically hypogonadal men; Details on the...
- Testosterone prescriptions jump 170% since 1999, yet uses remain unproven. // Geriatrics;Jan2004, Vol. 59 Issue 1, p15
Cites the report released by the Institute of Medicine which cautioned physicians against over-prescribing testosterone replacement therapy for older men due to lack of studies particularly on placebo-controlled randomized trials. Increase in the number of physicians prescribing testosterone;...
- Testosterone replacement warrants further investigation. Mulcahy, Nicholas // Urology Times;Oct2003, Vol. 31 Issue 10, p31
Discusses the importance of long-term, randomized clinical trials in determining the risks and benefits of testosterone replacement therapy in elderly men. Association of short-term testosterone replacement in healthy, young, hypogonadal men with very low frequency of adverse events;...
- Effects of Testosterone Administration for 3 Years on Subclinical Atherosclerosis Progression in Older Men With Low or Low-Normal Testosterone Levels: A Randomized Clinical Trial. Basaria, Shehzad; Harman, S. Mitchell; Travison, Thomas G.; Hodis, Howard; Tsitouras, Panayiotis; Budoff, Matthew; Pencina, Karol M.; Vita, Joseph; Dzekov, Connie; Mazer, Norman A.; Coviello, Andrea D.; Knapp, Philip E.; Hally, Kathleen; Pinjic, Emma; Mingzhu Yan; Storer, Thomas W.; Bhasin, Shalender // JAMA: Journal of the American Medical Association;8/11/2015, Vol. 314 Issue 6, p570
IMPORTANCE Testosterone use in older men is increasing, but its long-term effects on progression of atherosclerosis are unknown. OBJECTIVE To determine the effect of testosterone administration on subclinical atherosclerosis progression in older men with low or low-normal testosterone levels....
- Efficacy and safety of TRT still raises questions. Bankhead, Charles // Urology Times;10/1/2004, Vol. 32 Issue 14, p1
Reports on the inadequacy of the efficacy and safety of testosterone therapy in men despite its use in clinical practice in the U.S. Benefits of testosterone therapy; Status of testosterone therapy in older men; Improvement of sexual function and mood.
- Androgen Therapy for Effects of Aging in Older Men. Sadovsky, Richard // American Family Physician;7/1/2005, Vol. 72 Issue 1, p170
Discusses research being done on the use of androgen therapy in older men. Reference to a study by P. Y. Liu and colleagues, published in the October 2004 issue of the "Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism"; Effect of androgen therapy on bone mineral density; Clinical manifestations...
- Testosterone Trials. Hampton, Tracy // JAMA: Journal of the American Medical Association;12/24/2003, Vol. 290 Issue 24, p3186
Reports that clinical studies of testosterone for the treatment of age-related conditions in men aged 65 years or older should go forward. Reasons why only a limited number should be allowed to participate.
- Risks of Testosterone-Replacement Therapy and Recommendations for Monitoring. Rhoden, Ernani Luis; Morgentaler, Abraham // New England Journal of Medicine;1/29/2004, Vol. 350 Issue 5, p482
Focuses on the risk of testosterone-replacement therapy in elderly men with hypogonadism. Number of men in the U.S. with hypogonadism; Types of testosterone used in treating the condition; Risk for coronary artery disease; Effects of testosterone therapy and risk of prostate cancer.
- Testosterone therapy for elderly men? // Reproductive BioMedicine Online (Reproductive Healthcare Limited;Mar2004, Vol. 8 Issue 3, p324
Examines the significance of testosterone therapy for elderly men. Considerations in testosterone administration; Description of the physiological effects of testosterone therapy; Recommendations on the terms of testosterone treatment.