Protecting the protectors: indemnification agreements for REB members
- Banishing bias in clinical studies. Krizmanic, Judy // Vegetarian Times;Jan95, Issue 209, p21
Reports on a US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) proposal that scientists who conduct clinical drug trials must disclose financial interests they have in products being submitted for FDA approval. Requirements on the sponsor of any drug; FDA recognition that financial arrangements between...
- Protecting Our Science. Seixas, Noah S. // Annals of Occupational Hygiene;Oct2013, Vol. 57 Issue 8, p963
In response to a recent court decision, the Annals of Occupational Hygiene is reviewing our procedures to ensure transparency in authorship and direct and indirect conflicts of interest. These improvements are intended to help protect the integrity of the science presented in the journal.
- Protecting Good Science. Sheehan, Patrick; Brorby, Gregory; Berman, D. Wayne; Bogen, Kenneth T. // Annals of Occupational Hygiene;Mar2014, Vol. 58 Issue 2, p266
A letter to the editor in response to the article "Protecting Our Science," published in previous issue of the journal is presented.
- Puerto Rico Votes Out Monkey-Breeding Facility. // Good Medicine;Winter2011, Vol. 20 Issue 1, p8
The article reports on the actions taken by the mayor and citizens of Guayama in Puerto Rico against the attempt of Bioculture to construct a private-breeding facility in the area in October 2010, which include the passing of ordinances that make it illegal to use monkeys in experiments.
- Defining Research Ethics Legally: Liaison between International and National Documents. The Case of Safety of the Researcher as a Research Ethics Issue. Novelskaitė, Aurelija; Pučėtaitė, Raminta; Lipnevič, Anna // International Journal of Science in Society;2011, Vol. 2 Issue 3, p219
The paper focuses on safety of the researcher as an ethical issue from the perspective of a liaison between international and national, i.e. Lithuanian documents. Review of the academic literature on the topic suggests that its topicality is controversial both from a theoretical and an empirical...
- The practical side of being a fiduciary. KALISH, JERRY // Employee Benefit News;Aug2009, Vol. 23 Issue 10, p44
The article offers some practical suggestions on how to approach the responsibilities of retirement plan fiduciaries. They include appointing an individual or committee as plan administrator. Another is to consider the financial strength of one's service providers. The need to be aware of the...
- Sharing Research Data and Intellectual Property Law: A Primer. Carroll, Michael W. // PLoS Biology;8/27/2015, Vol. 13 Issue 8, p1
Sharing research data by depositing it in connection with a published article or otherwise making data publicly available sometimes raises intellectual property questions in the minds of depositing researchers, their employers, their funders, and other researchers who seek to reuse research...
- Strict Standard. // Research;Jul2011, Vol. 34 Issue 7, p38
The article offers a rigid standard on the 1928 case in the Court of Appeals in New York, the provision of a widely known description of the nature of fiduciary responsibility.
- Unraveling the conflicts to preserve research integrity. Chapman, Brenda J. // Baylor University Medical Center Proceedings;Jul2011, Vol. 24 Issue 3, p224
The article presents an overview of, and the author's opinions on, guidelines which were developed by several U.S. agencies, including the Food and Drug Administration, the Public Health Service and the National Institutes of Health, to prevent financial conflicts of interest among researchers...