Is Bush Ready for Iran?
- Time to let out the secret. Torrens, James S. // America;10/23/1993, Vol. 169 Issue 12, p4
Reports on the rise in global stockpiles of materials used for the production of nuclear explosives. Ban on nuclear production and testing in the United States; China's underground testing; Israel's nuclear capacity; Secrecy in nuclear arms projects.
- Eliminating weapons of mass destruction. Butler, George Lee // Vital Speeches of the Day;02/01/97, Vol. 63 Issue 8, p234
Presents the speech of a retired general of the US Air Force, delivered to the Stimson Center Award Remarks in Washington, D.C, on January 9, 1997, dealing with the scourge of nuclear weapons. Dangers associated with nuclear weapons; Call for the elimination of nuclear weapons; Responsibility...
- Was 1945 a break in history. Sherry, Michael S. // Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists;Jul/Aug1987, Vol. 43 Issue 6, p12
Characterizes the politics of nuclear weapons. Description of the destructiveness of aerial weapons; Emphasis on the unprecedented gravity of the nuclear problem; Discussion of the novel dangers of nuclear weapons; Contribution of the dichotomy of doomsday or deliverance to another continuity...
- Furor over fuel. Albright, David; Hinderstein, Corey // Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists;May/Jun2003, Vol. 59 Issue 3, p12
Focuses on the confirmation made by the Iranian government concerning its nuclear capabilities as of April 2003. Misconception on the military capabilities of Iran; Commitment of the nation to the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty; Doubts of the U.S. government on the nuclear capabilities of Iran.
- You'd be toast. // Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists;Nov/Dec2001, Vol. 57 Issue 6, p7
Reports on the Back from the Brink campaign in the United States which aims to highlight the danger of keeping nuclear weapons. Legislation supported by the campaign; Motto of the campaign.
- Freeze nuclear-weapons development and deployment: Pro: The freeze and the counterforce race. Feiveson, Harold; von Hippel, Frank // Physics Today;Jan83, Vol. 36 Issue 1, p36
Discusses the demand to stop the deployment of nuclear weapons that contribute to first-strike capabilities in the U.S. and the Soviet Union. Factor influencing the demand to freeze the nuclear arms race; Reason for building counterforce capabilities; Dangers of counterforce; Objections of the...
- NUCLEAR TECHNOLOGY: ARMS CONTROL IN PERSPECTIVE. Wilson, A.H. // Contemporary Review;Jun2002, Vol. 280 Issue 1637, p354
Addresses concerns on the nuclear weapons of the U.S. and Russia as of June 2002. Histories of nuclear weapons and their delivery systems; Thermonuclear bomb testings conducted by the U.S. and the Union of Soviet Socialist Republics in 1953 and 1954, respectively; Deployment of Intercontinental...
- COMRADES & CAPITALISTS. Omestad, Thomas; Porzio, Giovanni // U.S. News & World Report;8/8/2005, Vol. 139 Issue 5, p16
Presents a report on economic conditions in North Korea. Looks at how North Korea is trying to jumpstart its economy with market oriented reforms; Author's view that despite the stand-off regarding its development of nuclear weapons, the country has been removing the seals that have kept out...
- The forgotten menace. Doty, Paul // Nature;12/9/1999, Vol. 402 Issue 6762, p583
Comments on the threat to civilization represented by nuclear weapons stockpiles. Possible breadth of devastation; Reduction of stockpile to limit damage within recoverable range; Change in nuclear nations' perspective on the risk of excessive nuclear weapons.