EDITOR'S QUIZ: GI SNAPSHOT...: Clue to a more serious diagnosis
- Surgical Treatment in Liver Cyst Hydatic Cases: Analysis of 276 Patients. Küçük, Can; Yılmaz, Namık; Akyıldız, Hızır; Sözüer, Erdoğan // Erciyes Medical Journal / Erciyes Tip Dergisi;2008, Vol. 30 Issue 3, p170
Purpose: Hepatic hydatid disease is still a significant public health problem in Turkey. It is a parasitic infection, which liver is the most frequently infected organ. Surgical treatment has been controversial for a long time. Material and Methods: Patients, which has been undergone surgical...
- Bilothorax - an unusual problem. Rowe, P. H. // Journal of the Royal Society of Medicine;Nov1989, Vol. 82 Issue 11, p687
The article presents the case study of a 63-year-old man who had faced the problem of acute epigastric pain radiating to the back, nausea and vomiting. No intake of heavy alcohol or drug has been been reported during medical examination. The man was found to be in severe pain in apyrexial....
- Lateralization of the connections of the ovary to the celiac ganglia in juvenile rats. Morán, Carolina; Zarate, Fabiola; Morán, José Luis; Handal, Anabella; Domínguez, Roberto // Reproductive Biology & Endocrinology;2009, Vol. 7, p1
During the development of the female rat, a maturing process of the factors that regulate the functioning of the ovaries takes place, resulting in different responses according to the age of the animal. Studies show that peripheral innervation is one relevant factor involved. In the present...
- plexal. // Taber's Cyclopedic Medical Dictionary;2005, p1690
A definition of the medical term "plexal" is presented. This term denotes that a subject pertains to, or of the nature of, a plexus. The definition is from the "Taber's Cyclopedic Medical Dictionary," published by F.A. Davis Co.The pronunciation of the term is also provided.
- plexus. // Taber's Cyclopedic Medical Dictionary;2005, p1690
A definition of the medical term "plexus" is presented. This term refers to a network of nerves or of blood or lymphatic vessels. The definitions of the various types of plexus are also given. The definitions are from the "Taber's Cyclopedic Medical Dictionary," published by F.A. Davis Co.The...
- solar plexus. // Taber's Cyclopedic Medical Dictionary;2005, p2023
A definition of the term "solar plexus" is presented. It refers to the celiac plexus, located behind the stomach and between the suprarenal glands and consisting of two large ganglia, the celiac and superior mesenteric ganglia, from which sympathetic fibers pass to visceral organs.
- SOLAR PLEXUS. Lewis, James R.; Oliver, Evelyn // Dream Encyclopedia;2009, p341
An encyclopedia entry for "solar plexus," the area of the body known as the psychic brain center, is presented. It states that solar plexus is the source of all deep feelings and empathic experiences.
- Psychological illness is commonly associated with functional gastrointestinal disorders and is important to consider during patient consultation: a population-based study. Ålander, Ture; Svärdsudd, Kurt; Johansson, Sven-Erik; Agréus, Lars // BMC Medicine;2005, Vol. 3, p8
Background: Some individuals with functional gastrointestinal disorders (FGID) suffer long-lasting symptoms without ever consulting their doctors. Our aim was to study co-morbidity and lifestyle differences among consulters and non-consulters with persistent FGID and controls in a defined adult...
- The Large Gastric Trichobezoar Associated with Ulcers and Antral Polyposis: Case Report. Zildzic, Muharem; Salihefendic, Nizama; Panzalovic, Dusko; Matkovic, Zoran; Misic, Jovica // Medical Archives / Medicinski Arhiv;2013, Vol. 67 Issue 3, p212
Trichobezoar of gastrointestinal tract is an uncommon clinical condition and can present diagnostic and therapeutic challenge in practice. Clinical manifestations vary from no symptoms to serious complications. Delay in diagnosis may lead to an acute abdominal syndrome with lethal consequences,...