Effective Jan. 1
- News in Brief. // Fire Engineering;Mar2002, Vol. 155 Issue 3, p56
Reports developments among fire departments in the U.S. Recognition of the late Ray Downey, deputy chief of the Fire Department of New York with the Fire Engineering Courage and Valor Foundation award; Death of firefighter Anthony Manno in Maryland; Release of the 2001 preliminary firefighter...
- Out of sight shouldn't be out of chief's mind. McCormack, Jim // Fire Chief;Apr2003, Vol. 47 Issue 4, p20
Discusses factors to be considered by a fire chief when training firefighters. Support of firefighters through training; Development of a solid fire department training program; Responsibility of the fire chief to the members of the fire department and their families.
- Future Senior Services Trends and the Fire Service. Sheehan, Patrick // Minnesota Fire Chief;Nov/Dec2007, Vol. 44 Issue 2, p52
The article explores future changes in senior citizen housing in Minnesota and their impact on fire service and fire fighters. Information is presented on the growing elderly population in the state. It explains why the number of nursing homes declined with the increase in number of seniors in...
- Structure Live Burn Training. Mannelin, Gene; Wurdeman, Mark; Nelson, Bob // Minnesota Fire Chief;Jan/Feb2006, Vol. 42 Issue 3, p40
Presents a letter sent to all fire departments in Minnesota regarding issues on the Live Fire Training Burn. Background information about the training; Guidelines that should be followed to conduct a live structure training burn; Online publications related to the training.
- Kudos to Another Minnesota Fire Department. Schliek, David // Minnesota Fire Chief;Mar/Apr2007, Vol. 43 Issue 4, p56
The article focuses on the Crosby Fire Department in Minnesota. Membership in the fire department is said to have grown. Its firefighters need to undergo Firefighter I training and complete the certification process. Most of them have finished Firefighter II courses and certification. A Fire...
- Saving Lives by Commanding the Mayday. STUMBAUGH, SEAN // Fire Engineering;Jun2011, Vol. 164 Issue 6, p22
The article offers details of the Commanding the Mayday training course, a 16-hour class for chief officers and aspiring officers from Sacramento, California. The training, which was designed to teach fire service officers to learn the basics of saving a lost or drowned firefighter, was the...
- Firefighter education is everyone's responsibility. McCormack, Jim // Fire Chief;Aug2003, Vol. 47 Issue 8, p30
Focuses on the aspects of fire department training. Skills required for a training; Key element for effective training; Role of fire fighters in a fire department training; Role of the company officer in training; Responsibilities of department trainers.
- Darwin and the volunteer fire service. Coleman, Ronny // Fire Chief Expert Blog;9/15/2013, p1
The article presents information on volunteer fire chiefs in the U.S. It states that, though, volunteer fire chiefs are not paid for their services, but their duties are no less than the fire chiefs who receive compensation. However, volunteer fire chiefs have to spend limited time period in...
- Staffing Tops Chiefs' Worries. // Fire Chief;Feb2006, Vol. 50 Issue 2, p13
The article reports on the finding by the International Association of Fire Chiefs that the three major challenges faced by fire departments in the United States are staffing, funding and increased demands for service. Staffing is also the top challenge faced by volunteer departments. Included...