Interferon Gamma-1b Therapy for Idiopathic Pulmonary Fibrosis: Is the Cart Before the Horse?
- Interferon Gamma-1b Therapy for Advanced Idiopathic Pulmonary Fibrosis. Kalra, Sanjay; Utz, James P.; Ryu, Jay H. // Mayo Clinic Proceedings;Sep2003, Vol. 78 Issue 9, p1082
Examines the treatment of advanced idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis/usual interstitial pneumonia with interferon gamma-1b. Duration of treatment; Baseline pulmonary function tests; Patient medical history; Patient survival.
- Idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis or not: antibiotic prophylaxis for all patients on immunosuppressants. Neto, Manuel L. Ribeiro; Swigris, Jeffrey J.; Culver, Daniel A.; Shulgina, Ludmila; Cahn, Anthony P.; Chilvers, Edwin R.; Parfrey, Helen; Clark, Allan B.; Wilson, Edward C. F.; Twentyman, Orion P.; Davison, Anthony G.; Curtin, John J.; Crawford, Michael B.; Wilson, Andrew M. // Thorax;Sep2013, Vol. 68 Issue 9, p883
A letter to the editor is presented in response to the article "Treating Idiopathic Pulmonary Fibrosis With the Addition of Co-Trimoxazole: A Randomized Controlled Trial." by L. Shulgina and colleagues in the 2013 issue.
- Strategies for treating idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis. du Bois, R. M. // Nature Reviews Drug Discovery;Feb2010, Vol. 9 Issue 2, p129
Idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis (IPF) is the most common and most lethal diffuse fibrosing lung disease, with a mortality rate that exceeds that of many cancers. Recently, there have been many clinical trials of novel therapies for IPF. The results have mostly been disappointing, although two...
- Financings Roundup. // BioWorld Today;11/9/2012, Vol. 23 Issue 219, p6
The article reports on the 1.2 million U.S. dollars raised by Genoa Pharmaceuticals Inc. to finance its lead program, GP-101, for idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis.
- A Preliminary Study of Long-Term Treatment with Interferon Gamma-1b and Low-Dose Prednisolone in Patients with Idiopathic Pulmonary Fibrosis. Ziesche, Rolf; Hofbauer, Elisabeth; Wittmann, Karin; Petkov, Ventzislav; Block, Lutz-Henning // New England Journal of Medicine;10/21/99, Vol. 341 Issue 17, p1264
Background: Patients with idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis have progressive scarring of the lung and usually die within four to five years after symptoms develop. Treatment with oral glucocorticoids is often ineffective. We conducted an open, randomized trial of treatment with a combination of...
- Well-Funded Amira Focuses on New Drug Discoveries. Chambers, Heather // San Diego Business Journal;1/25/2010, Vol. 31 Issue 4, p1
The article reports on the efforts of Amira Pharmaceuticals Inc. to focus on new drug discoveries in San Diego, California. It states that Amira successfully developed an experimental asthma treatment AM103 in the form of pills. According to Bob Baltera, Amira chief executive officer (CEO), to...
- Treatments in idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis: time for a more targeted approach? Mahendran, Siva; Sethi, Tariq // QJM: An International Journal of Medicine;Oct2012, Vol. 105 Issue 10, p929
Idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis (IPF) is a progressive age-related lung disease, the cause of which is not been fully understood. IPF is a devastating disease with mortality worse than many cancers, and treatment options are limited. IPF is thought to occur after recurrent injury to the alveolar...
- Pirfenidone Panel, Tracleer Data to Start IPF Pot Boiling. Osborne, Randy // BioWorld Insight;2/8/2010, Vol. 18 Issue 6, p1
The article reports on the implications of Actelion Ltd.'s success in the phase III clinical trial of its Tracleer drug for idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis (IPF) for the pivotal results of InterMune Inc.'s clinical trial of its pirfenidone compound in the U.S. Robert Baltera of Amira...
- InterMune's CRL Response Highlights Pros, Cons of IPF. Orelli, Brian // BioWorld Insight;6/6/2011, Vol. 19 Issue 23, p1
The article discusses the complete response letter (CRL) from InterMune Inc. which highlights the positive and negative effects of the drug Esbriet for the treatment of idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis (IPF). It notes that the plan for the confirmatory trial for the drug was required to obtain an...