Smart antiterror moves
- Winning Hearts and Minds. Hickey, Jennifer G. // Insight on the News;11/12/2001, Vol. 17 Issue 42, p22
Focuses on the campaign launched by the United States (U.S.) to win the hearts and minds of people in the Middle East to support its war on terrorism. Importance of diplomacy for the U.S. campaign against terrorism; Experience of the U.S. in the 1991 Gulf War against Iraq; Military campaign of...
- U.S. Government Keeps Heat on Terrorist-Front Muslim Charities. Berlau, John; Nichols, Hans S. // Insight on the News;1/14/2002, Vol. 18 Issue 2, p6
Reports on the action taken by the United States federal government to deal with Muslim organizations in the country that are being used as front to finance terrorist groups. Information on fund raising activities of the American Muslim Council and the Council on American-Islamic Relations;...
- THE WAR AGAINST TERRORISM. // Canadian Dimension;Nov/Dec2001, Vol. 35 Issue 6, p2
Focuses on the approach of the government on the fight against terrorism in the United States. Effect of the US attack on Afghanistan; Details of the Israeli-Palestinian conflict; Emphasis of peace movement.
- US attack is `best gift' for Sudan. Peterson, Scott // Christian Science Monitor;8/31/98, Vol. 90 Issue 194, p6
Looks at the effects on Sudan of the United States bombing of a pharmaceutical factory in Khartoum, Sudan. Sympathy for Sudan aroused by the US strike; Claim by US that it had evidence that the El Shifa factory was producing precursors to nerve gas; Rejection of this accusation by Sudanese...
- Will anti-terrorism become the McCarthyism of the 1980s?: Striking at the heart of liberty. Clarizio, Jeanne B. // ABA Journal;Jan1986, Vol. 72 Issue 1, p36
Comments on the anti-terrorism policy of U.S. President Ronald Reagan's administration. Magnitude of the terrorism problem; Intent of the treaty between the United States and Great Britain aimed at extraditing suspected terrorists; Impact of the government's anti-terrorism stance on...
- Will anti-terrorism become the McCarthyism of the 1980s? Rovine, Arthur // ABA Journal;Jan1986, Vol. 72 Issue 1, p36
Comments on how the anti-terrorism policy of U.S. President Ronald Reagan's administration would affect constitutional freedom. Intent of the anti-terrorism treaty between the United States and Great Britain; Democratic checks on abuse of the fight against terrorism.
- `War' against terrorism. // Christian Science Monitor;8/24/98, Vol. 90 Issue 189, p20
Editorial. Raises questions about the United States attacks against terrorist bases in Afghanistan and Sudan. Question of where the war against terrorism is leading; Who the enemy is; The best tactics; Islam not the target or enemy.
- Notes and Comment. // New Yorker;5/5/86, Vol. 62 Issue 11, p33
Asserts that governments can defeat terrorism by becoming terrorists themselves. Relations between the United States and Libya; Terrorists' victory when the adversary changes its policy; Psychological use of violence.
- Powell in The Middle. Hirsh, Michael; Gutman, Roy; Matthews, Owen; Lorch, Donatella; Barry, John; Clift, Eleanor; Nordland, Rod; Zarembo, Alan; Conant, Eve // Bulletin with Newsweek;10/2/2001, Vol. 119 Issue 6295, p54
Focuses on United States Secretary of State Colin Powell's efforts to hold off hardliners pressing for broader scope of President George W. Bush's war against terrorism. Sole internationalist in a crowd of America-firsters; Ability to keep cool under fire; Campaign to build a worldwide...