Country Risk Summary: THAILAND
- Thailand: Thaksin Secure, But Risks Remain. // Emerging Markets Monitor;2/13/2006, Vol. 11 Issue 42, p11
Discusses the political and economic conditions of Thailand in 2006. Status of popularity of Thailand Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra; Support given by the Thai Rak Thai party to Thaksin; Impact of political issues on the performance of the Stock Exchange of the Thailand Index; Performance of...
- THAILAND Politicized Thaksinization. Panaspornprasit, Chookiat // Southeast Asian Affairs;2004, p257
Focuses on the study concerning the political system and economic condition in Thailand. Determination to dominate the Thai politics by Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra; International cooperation of the country with the neighboring countries; Promotion of the relations with Laos and Vietnam.
- A New Hope. Modi, Vikram // Harvard International Review;Winter2007, Vol. 28 Issue 4, p8
The author reflects on the potential growth of the Thai economy under the military government after the ouster of former Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra in a coup d'etat on September 19, 2006. He notes that the government has progressed in addressing Muslim insurgency in the country. He...
- DATA & FORECASTS. // Asia Monitor: South East Asia Monitor Volume 1;Apr2006, Vol. 17 Issue 4, p3
The article presents a political forecast for Thailand, which faces tension during the first half of 2006. Tension is not expected to abate even after Prime Minister Shinawatra Thaksin's decision to call for early elections. Because of the dissolution of the country's parliament, there has been...
- THAILAND The Facts and F(r)ictions of Ruling. Connors, Michael Kelly // Southeast Asian Affairs;2005, p365
Examines the economic and political conditions in Thailand under the regime of Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra. Approach of the prime minister to domestic and international policy; Elevation of U.S.-Thai relations under Thaksin's administration; National security issues tackled by the head;...
- RISK SUMMARY: THAILAND. // Asia Monitor: South East Asia Monitor Volume 1;Jun2007, Vol. 18 Issue 6, p2
The article reports developments related to political and economic in Thailand. The country's anti-graft body requested prosecutors to charge former minister Thaksin Shinawatra and his wife Potjaman of criminal corruption. The annual economic inflation decreased in three-year low by 1.8% in...
- Thailand: Country Forecast: Highlights. // Political Risk Yearbook: Thailand Country Report;2003, p3
Presents forecasts on the economy of Thailand as of October 2002. Expected recovery of the gross domestic product; Purpose of the cabinet reshuffle of Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra; Opportunities for foreign investments in the country.
- Thailand Country Forecast. // Political Risk Yearbook: Thailand Country Report;2007, p3
The article offers political and economic forecasts for Thailand. The forecasted real gross domestic product for years 2007 to 2011 is 4.5 percent while 3.2 percent for inflation for the same time line. According to the author, a political crisis was temporarily resolved with the removal of...
- THAILAND. Thaksin Fever. Funston, John // Southeast Asian Affairs;2002, p305
Discusses the economic and political conditions of Thailand as of January 2002. Controversies facing Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra; Electoral fraud; Role of traditional politicians; Financial regulations imposed by the International Monetary Fund; Foreign policy.