- From the specter of Mao to the spirit of the law: Labor insurgency in China. Ching Kwan Lee // Theory & Society;Apr2002, Vol. 31 Issue 2, p189
This article discusses the labor insurgency in China. China now confronts the most massive scale of unemployment and peasant labor migration in the history of the People's Republic. Communist rule has endured without effective popular challenge. A most in
- SWOT Analysis. // Uganda Defence & Security Report;Q2 2012, Issue 2, p6
The article presents strengths, weaknesses, opportunities and threats (SWOT) analysis for Uganda's politics, economy and businesses environment for the second quarter of 2012. It notes the considerable political stability in the country despite the government's conflict with the Lord's...
- Labour a deterrent. Steyn, Greta // Finweek;12/13/2007, p46
The article reports on the factors that hinder investment in the mining industry in South Africa. According to a survey conducted, the implementation of labour regulations is one of the factors that impedes mining investment in the country. Other factors include doubt on the organization,...
- A State's Gendered Response to Political Instability: Gendering Labor Policy in Semiauthoritarian El Salvador (1944ï¿½1972). Griffith, Kati L.; Gates, Leslie C. // Social Politics: International Studies in Gender, State & Societ;Jun2002, Vol. 9 Issue 2, p248
Unlike much of the gender and welfare literature, this study examines why a regime that constrains pressure from below would adopt gendered social policies. The Salvadoran case (1944ï¿½72) suggests that political instability rather than societal pressures may prompt semiauthoritarian regimes...
- Political analysis. // Netherlands Country Profile;Jul2014, p16
The article offers an analysis of political landscape of the Netherlands as of July 2014 based on current strengths, current challenges, future prospects and future risks. Topics covered include the introduction of labor laws to alleviate exploitation and illegal employment, the deteriorating...
- Marikana, Mangaung and the Future of the South African Mining Industry. Leon, Peter // Journal of Energy & Natural Resources Law (International Bar Ass;May2013, Vol. 31 Issue 2, p171
South Africa's mining industry suffered an annus horribilis in 2012 as a result of multiple tragedies, labour unrest and economic-related challenges. This commentary puts the events of 2012 into a broader context before going on to discuss potential ways to avoid similar future events. With...
- Labor law for supervisors. Lissy, William E. // Supervision;Mar96, Vol. 57 Issue 3, p17
Presents legal status examples of employees who are chronically absent or late. Suspension of a chronically late United States Army employee; Obligation of a company to accommodate an employee's undisclosed disability; Allegation of defamation and negligent infliction of emotional distress.
- The Politics of Child Labour in Indonesia: Global Trends and Domestic Policy. Bessell, Sharon // Pacific Affairs;Fall99, Vol. 72 Issue 3, p353
Focuses on legislative and policy responses to child labor in Indonesia. Major trends in international discourse on child labor; Evolution of child labor policy in Indonesia; Child labor laws from 1945-1965; Details on the Ministerial Regulation of 1987.
- Child labor law on hold. // Wallaces Farmer;Apr2012, Vol. 137 Issue 4, p38
The article focuses on the issue related to child labor law.