Suu Kyi's Dilemma
- MYANMAR: Country Forecast: Comment & Analysis. // Political Risk Yearbook: Myanmar Country Report;2006, p11
Forecasts the political conditions in Myanmar for 2006. Issues on the house arrest of Nobel laureate Aung Sang Suu Kyi; Information on the rumors of coup attempts in the country; Efforts of the State Peace and Development Council to create a regional military command.
- Too Much To Hide. Lintner, Bertil // World Today;Jul2006, Vol. 62 Issue 7, p14
The article discusses the decision by the government of Burma to extend the house arrest of pro-democracy leader Aung San Suu Kyi by another year, causing dismay at home and criticism abroad. According to United Nations Secretary-General Kofi Annan, Burma's junta had missed a chance for...
- What's good for Burma. // Christian Science Monitor;9/9/96, Vol. 88 Issue 199, p20
Opinion. Focuses on the Burmese government's crackdown on democrat Aung San Suu Kyi. Government argument against democracy; Campaign of the State Law and Order Restoration Council (SLORC) to discredit Ms. Suu Kyi's National League for Democracy.
- Suu Kyi's release: Act I in Burma's drama. Aung-Thwin, Maureen // Christian Science Monitor;8/2/95, Vol. 87 Issue 173, p19
Opinion. Focuses on the political conditions in Burma. Release of Aung San Suu Kyi by Burmese military junta; Expectations from Suu Kyi; Speculations about negotiations between military junta and democratic forces in the nation; Need for international support.
- MYANMAR. Steinberg, David I. // Southeast Asian Affairs;2003, p171
Focuses on political issues in Burma. Release of Daw Aung San Suu Kyi, leader of the opposition National League for Democracy, from prison; Factors causing the closure of various local offices; Risks of terrorism.
- Burmese opposition leader Aung San Suu Kyi's. Bandrapalli, Suman; McLaughlin, Abraham T. // Christian Science Monitor;11/30/95, Vol. 88 Issue 4, p2
Informs about withdrawal of support for drafting a new constitution by Burmese opposition party led by Aung San Suu Kyi. Demand made by the Nobel Peace laureate Kyi.
- Suu Kyi meets with generals. // Time International (South Pacific Edition);10/3/94, Issue 40, p20
Reports on the meeting between Burman opposition leader Aung San Suu Kyi and the country's ruling generals.
- The lady emerges. Walsh, James; Burton, Sandra // Time International (South Pacific Edition);10/3/94, Issue 40, p48
Reports on the meeting between Burma's ruling military junta and dissident Aung San Suu Kyi. Reasons for the encounter; Buddhist go-between; Burma's political and economic conditions; Value of the currency; Encouraging foreign investments; Suu Kyi's wishes.
- Breakthrough in Burma--talks are a start. Ingram, Simon // Christian Science Monitor;1/12/2001, Vol. 93 Issue 34, p8
Discusses the meeting between the Burmese military and Aung San Suu Kyi and the outlook for the end of the political stalemate between the parties.