RISK SUMMARY: THAILAND
- Thailand: Political and Economic Woes Mount. // Emerging Markets Monitor;12/5/2005, Vol. 11 Issue 33, p11
Reports on the increased political and economic disturbances in Thailand in line with the corruption allegations against Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra. Decrease in the approval rating of Shinawatra; Actions being taken by the government to resolve the insurgency; Changes in export growth...
- The Moment. Beech, Hannah // Time International (South Pacific Edition);12/15/2008, Issue 49, p5
The article focuses on the dissolution of the People Power Party (PPP) by a Thai court. It states that on December 2, 2008 a Thai court dissolved the PPP and ended Prime Minister Somchai Wongsawat's tenure as a result of electoral fraud. It mentions that anti-government protesters who had...
- Thailand's Juan PerÃ³n. Wehrfritz, George // Newsweek (Atlantic Edition);12/31/2007 (Atlantic Edition), Vol. 150/151 Issue 27/1, p50
The article looks at former Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra of Thailand. Details related to the People Power Party (PPP) and their help in aiding Shinawatra during the 2007 election are included. It is reported that Shinawatra, who is part of the Thai Rak Thai political party, was exiled from...
- Country Risk Summary: THAILAND. // Asia Monitor: South East Asia Monitor Volume 1;May2003, Vol. 14 Issue 5, p2
This article overviews political, economic and business environment of Thailand as of May 2003. Veteran politician Banyat Bantadtan has replaced former Prime Minister Chuan Leekpai as head of Thailand's opposition Democratic Party.The party can now concentrate on winning support away from Prime...
- THAILAND: RISK SUMMARY. // Asia Monitor: South East Asia Monitor Volume 1;Nov2005, Vol. 16 Issue 11, p2
Presents news related to economic, business and political developments in Thailand. Information about the visit of Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra to the conflict-torn south amid escalating violence; Prediction by Thailand's central bank chief about the hike in interest rates; Establishment of...
- Crackdown Not Addressing Underlying Issues. // Asia Monitor: South East Asia Monitor Volume 1;Jul2010, Vol. 21 Issue 7, p3
The article provides an overview on the political conditions in Thailand from 2010 and beyond. It cites the implications of the imposition of military powers by Prime Minister (PM) Abhisit Vejjajiva to repress the Red Shirt protestors, who are supporters of former PM Thaksin Shinawatra, such as...
- Thailand: Shrugging Off Political Noise. // Emerging Markets Monitor;3/6/2006, Vol. 11 Issue 45, p11
Assesses the economic and political conditions in Thailand as of March 3, 2006. Reaction of financial markets to the call of Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra to conduct a snap election for April 2; Market performance of the Thai baht; Economic growth of the country.
- Thailand: Country Forecast: Current Data. // Political Risk Yearbook: Thailand Country Report;2003, p5
Presents information on the political and economic conditions of Thailand headed by Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra. List of government officials; Growth of gross domestic product; Ethnic groups.
- THAILAND Politicized Thaksinization. Panaspornprasit, Chookiat // Southeast Asian Affairs;2004, p257
Focuses on the study concerning the political system and economic condition in Thailand. Determination to dominate the Thai politics by Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra; International cooperation of the country with the neighboring countries; Promotion of the relations with Laos and Vietnam.