Government Coalition Loses Majority
- REGIONAL RISK PROFILE. // Emerging Europe Monitor: Russia, Ukraine & Baltics;Mar2004, Vol. 8 Issue 3, p1
This article presents statistical information on short-term political risk trends of several European countries. Having been unable to establish a new majority administration following the withdrawal from the government of a junior coalition member, Prime Minister of Latvia, Einars Repse has...
- Calming The Waves In Latvia. // Emerging Europe Financial Alert;6/16/2003, Vol. 2 Issue 5, p5
Although the Latvian government has managed to survive a vote of no confidence in June 2003, opposition political parties announced fresh plans to topple Prime Minister Einars Repse's coalition government in June 2003 in Latvia. Still, Repse has attempted to focus on what he considers to be the...
- Latvia: Another Government Bites the Dust. Akule, Dace // Transitions Online;2/16/2004, pN.PAG
Reports on the political conditions of Latvia as of February 2004. Reason for the resignation of the cabinet; Leadership of Prime Minister Einars Repse; List of political parties in the country.
- Latvian Government Collapses. // Emerging Europe Financial Alert;2/9/2004, Vol. 2 Issue 36, p6
Latvian Prime Minister Einars Repse's administration resigned last Thursday, following failed attempts to rebuild the governing coalition. This move came on the back of the Latvia's First Party (LPP) withdrawing from the four-party bloc at the end of January after Repse sacked deputy prime...
- Latvia: Rides Out a Political Storm. Bandere, Zane // Transitions Online;10/6/2003, pN.PAG
Discusses the government crisis following the yes vote on the referendum for the bid of Latvia to join the European Union, as of September 30, 2003. Allegations of the Latvian First Party against the authoritarian regime of Prime Minister Einars Repse; History of tensions in the government even...
- Fiscal Consolidation At Risk. // Emerging Europe Monitor: Central Europe & Baltic States;May2010, Vol. 17 Issue 5, p12
The article focuses on the People Power's decision to depart from Latvian coalition government and its adverse effect to the political stability in Latvia.
- Going Global. Lusted, Marcia Amidon // Cobblestone;Sep2008, Vol. 29 Issue 7, p40
The article offers information on various political parties in the world, including the three political parties in Finland, nonpartisan democracy in Canada, and a dominant party system in Singapore.
- Twenty-One Variables Beyond the Size of Winning Coalitions. Hinckley, Barbara // Journal of Politics;Feb79, Vol. 41 Issue 1, p192
Presents information on the political variables affecting coalition formation. Definition of the term coalition; Discussion on the choice of coalition partner; Information on the distribution of returns.
- The Value of Opposition. // America;1/11/1936, Vol. 54 Issue 14, p318
The author reflects on the issue about the process of choosing a candidate of the political parties in the U.S. Instead of searching for a the best candidate, it states that the Republicans might choose one from the two possible candidates randomly. The author believes that every party needs a...