RISK SUMMARY: SLOVAKIA
- Tax Reform Boost For GDP...But Currency At Risk. // Emerging Markets Monitor;6/2/2003, Vol. 9 Issue 8, p15
Reports on the decision of the coalition government of Slovakia's Prime Minister Mikulas Dzurinda to levy a flat rate of income tax from 2004 onwards. Taxation structure under Dzurinda's tax system; Forecast on the country's gross domestic product; Implication of an expected fall in revenue...
- SDK rejects PM's `fusion'. Nicholson, Tom // Slovak Spectator;05/15/2000, Vol. 6 Issue 19, p1
Reports on the conflict which arised among members of the Slovak Democratic Coalition (SDK) party following the announcement of Prime Minister Mikulas Dzurinda's plan to launch a fusion of center-right platforms within the party. Focus of dispute among SDK party members; Remarks from SDK party...
- Leader Biography/Photograph. // Slovakia Country Review;2001/2002, p28
Profiles Mikulas Dzurinda, Prime Minister of the Slovak Republic. Date of birth; Family; Educational background; Career highlights; Other positions held in government.
- No better choice than Dzurinda. Pisarova, Martina // Slovak Spectator;01/17/2000, Vol. 6 Issue 2, p1
Profiles Prime Minister Mikulas Dzurinda of Slovakia. Advantage of Dzurinda with his constitutional majority support; Failure of Dzurinda to bring order to the warring factions within his Slovak Democratic Coalition.
- Road pirates: The PM's spurious gestalt. // Slovak Spectator;9/10/2001, Vol. 7 Issue 34, p4
Comments on the reaction of Slovakian Prime Minister Mikulas Dzurinda on the road accident met by the Slovakia state convoy in Yugoslavia. Description of the accident; Roots of piracy in Slovakia; Increase in number of pirates in Slovakia.
- Dzurinda pulls rug out from under SDK. Nicholson, Tom; Nicholsonova, Lucia // Slovak Spectator;01/24/2000, Vol. 6 Issue 3, p2
Reveals that Slovak Prime Minister Mikulas Dzurinda will form a political party called the Slovak Democratic and Christian Union (SDKU). Comments from political analysts on Dzurinda's offensive against his own party, the SDK; Tension in the SDK; Signatories to the declaration to form the new SDKU.
- PM opens anti-corruption fight. Pisarova, Martina // Slovak Spectator;03/06/2000, Vol. 6 Issue 9, p1
Focuses on the gap between public perception and actual convictions of corruption in Slovakia. Views of Prime Minister Mikulas Dzurinda on corruption; Forms of corruption in Slovakia; Three main ideas of the anti-corruption program in the country.
- Dzurinda's party(s) locked in conflict. Nicholson, Tom // Slovak Spectator;07/03/2000, Vol. 6 Issue 26, p3
Reports the division of the Slovak Democratic Coalition (SDK) over the future of a breakaway faction of SDK members led by Prime Minister Mikulas Dzurinda. Effects of the feud on the economic and political condition of Slovakia; Comments from Pavol Hamzik, chairman of the minor coalition...
- Frustrated expectations and what abides about Slovakia. Nicholson, Tom // Slovak Spectator;7/30/2001, Vol. 7 Issue 29, p4
Editorial. Comments on the response of readers to the content of `The Slovak Spectator' weekly. Outlook of readers on the negative coverage being given by the weekly to Slovakia; Criticism by a reader on the Slovak government under President Mikulas Dzurinda; Outlook on the transition of Slovakia.