RISK SUMMARY: SLOVAKIA
- Turkey. // MEED: Middle East Economic Digest;12/17/1999, Vol. 43 Issue 50, p33
Highlights the changes in Turkey's exchange rate policy. Aim to reduce high levels of inflation; Link of the rate of depreciation of the lira to projected inflation targets; Advantages and drawbacks of exchange rate substitution.
- Mindanao Talks Near. // Asia Monitor: South East Asia Monitor Volume 2;May2004, Vol. 15 Issue 5, p2
This article describes the political and economic conditions of Philippines as of May 2004. Stalled peace talks between the Philippine government and Moro Islamic Liberation Front (MILF) rebels are due to resume in the Malaysian capital of Kuala Lumpur. Government negotiators will meet with...
- Referendum spreads crown anxiety. Kriz, Peter // Slovak Spectator;10/09/2000, Vol. 6 Issue 38, p7
Deals with the impact of a referendum announcement on early parliamentary elections on the strength of Slovakia's currency. Status of the crown currency against the euro and dollar; Crown's continuous weakness in the exchange market in spite of positive economic result.
- Serbia: More Monetary Easing. // Emerging Markets Monitor;11/20/2006, Vol. 12 Issue 31, p19
The article focuses on the valuation of Serbia's dinar due to the more float, less manage approach to exchange rate policy adopted by the National Bank of Serbia. The main driver of the currency's appreciation was the sharp decline in inflation over the last few months of 2006 and the call for...
- Money-Based vs. Exchange-Rate-Based Stabilization: Is There Room for Political Opportunism? Aiseen, Ari // IMF Staff Papers;2007, Vol. 54 Issue 2, p385
In response to high and chronic inflation, countries have adopted different stabilization policies. However, the extent to which these stabilization programs were designed for political motives is not clear. Because exchange-rate-based stabilizations (ERBS) create an initial consumption boom...
- Apathy threatens elections. // Slovak Spectator;11/26/2001, Vol. 7 Issue 45, p2
Focuses on the expected voter turnout at the regional elections in Slovakia in December 2001. Background on the elections; Attitude of Slovaks toward elections; Factors that could affect the voter turnout.
- Brezno voters picked pig killings over polls. Pisarova, Martina // Slovak Spectator;12/10/2001, Vol. 7 Issue 47, p2
Reports on the views of the residents of Brezno in the Bansk&Ã¡; Bystrica Higher Territorial Unit region in Slovakia on the December 2001 regional elections in the country. Significance of the pig-killing activities of the residents to the low voter turnout in the region; Results of the...
- Political Conditions. // Slovakia Country Review;2010, p13
The article offers information on the political conditions of Slovakia which focuses on several parliamentary elections held from 1993 to 2009.
- Monetary and exchange rate policies. // OECD Economic Surveys: Poland;Jun2006, Vol. 2006 Issue 11, p37
Monetary policymakers have successfully consolidated a low-inflation environment in Poland, ridding it of a major problem. The inflation- targeting regime is now well established, and both the economy and policy-making arrangements have shown a strong degree of resilience in the face of sharp...