Background Note: Afghanistan
- The grand illusion. French, Patrick // Bulletin with Newsweek;4/28/95, Vol. 116 Issue 5966, p69
Offers a look into the battle between Britain and Russia for control over the uncharted territories of Central Asia, a period generally known as the Great Game. Encounter at Khaian Aksai in China in the winter of 1889; Greatest obstacle facing Russian invasion of India; British invasion of...
- The-stans of Central Asia. Sievers, Eric // Whole Earth;Fall98, Issue 94, p86
Presents information on the `stans' of the Central Asia. Location; Historical background; Facts regarding Central Asia.
- Central Asia: The crossroads of Eurasia. Rossabi, Morris // Faces (07491387);Dec96, Vol. 13 Issue 4, p4
Focuses on the history of Central Asia. Why negative images have often arisen from the writings of those whom the Central Asian warriors defeated or conquered; How the facts about Central Asia can be known; Why migration is prolific in Central Asia; How the people of Central Asia contributed to...
- The crossroads through time. // Faces (07491387);Dec96, Vol. 13 Issue 4, p18
Presents a map showing the different crossroads in Central Asia, from 1206 to 1990.
- Cities past and present. Rubinson, Karen S. // Faces (07491387);Dec96, Vol. 13 Issue 4, p20
Reports that in Central Asia, the two remarkable cities were Gaochang and Jiaohe, predecessors of the modern city of Turfan, and the ancient city of Afrasiab and its modern successor, Samarkand. Description of the cities and why there are characteristic; Where Samarkand and Turfan were...
- NATO's 50th anniversary. // Congressional Digest;Apr99, Vol. 78 Issue 4, p97
Traces the origins of the North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO). Legal and philosophical framework laid down in the Treaty of Washington; Changes in the political and security needs of alliance members; Debate over the admission of new NATO members.
- NATO overview. // Congressional Digest;Apr99, Vol. 78 Issue 4, p98
Discusses the origins and mission of the North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO). List of members and the year they joined; Steps taken to safeguard the freedom and security of all members; Includes role as transatlantic forum for allied consultations.
- A Contribution to the Kangju Ethnic History, 2nd Century BC -- 1st Century AD (based on the materials from the Orlat and Kultobe cemeteries). Podushkin, A. N. // Stratum Plus Journal;2012, Vol. 2012 Issue 4, p31
Studying materials found at the Orlat cemetery, researchers discussed historical and cultural aspects and artistic value of the unearthed objects, as well as ethnicity of the nomadic nobilitaty buried there. Meanwhile, the archaeological component of the finds did not receive sufficient...
- Thoughts about "Central Asia within the Russian Empire". // Ab Imperio;2008, Issue 4, p456
In his essay, Sergei Abashin shares reflections on the volume Central Asia within the Russian Empire. He compares this volume with other volumes published in the series Borderlands of the Russian Empire. Abashin observes that the task of writing histories of different regions of the Russian...