RISK SUMMARY: CAMBODIA
- Protect and thrive. Hack-Polay, Dieu Donne // People Management;8/3/2000, Vol. 6 Issue 16, p47
Encourages the employment of asylum seekers and refugees in Great Britain. Unemployment rate among refugees in Great Britain; Reason for the trend; Recommendations from the Refugee Council.
- Scarred refugees view Slovakia as a `transitional country'. Togneri, Chris; Habsudova, Zuzana // Slovak Spectator;07/31/2000, Vol. 6 Issue 29, p3
Focuses on refugees in Slovakia. Plight of the refugees before reaching Slovakia; Rights under the refugee status; Estimated number of potential refugees that have begun the asylum process in Slovakia since 1992.
- Seeking a Better Life. // Canada & the World Backgrounder;Dec2002, Vol. 68 Issue 3, p16
Criticizes the lack of restriction in the asylum system of Canada. People who are not eligible to make a refugee claim; Approval rate of Canada compared to European countries; Attitude of the Chinese-Canadian community to the Chinese nationals who arrived in Canada illegaly in 1999. INSETS:...
- The Queue Jumpers. // Canada & the World Backgrounder;Dec2002, Vol. 68 Issue 3, p20
Deals with the human smuggling business. Total value of the business; Attractions of the business to organized criminals; Number of illegals detained by Turkish authorities in 1999 and 2000; Methods to smuggling refugees. INSETS: LIFE AFTER LANDING;TARGETING SMUGGLERS.
- Editorial. Ellis, L. S. // Spinal Cord;May2002, Vol. 40 Issue 5, p212
Editorial. Introduces a series of articles on the torture of refugees and asylum seekers.
- Refugees or Migrants? Franekova, Anna // Harvard International Review;Spring2002, Vol. 24 Issue 1, p8
Reports the impact of the story on the leniency of British asylum laws on the Gypsies asking for recognition of refugee status in Great Britain. Discrimination faced by the Gypsies in the region; Status of Roma communities encountering verbal abuse and physical attacks; Problems on the belief of...
- Are We Helping? Šatavová, Kateřina // New Presence: The Prague Journal of Central European Affairs;Autumn2002, Vol. 4 Issue 3, p3
Comments on the capability of the asylum laws to help refugees in Prague, Czech Republic. Bureaucratic restriction from the local residents; Requirements for the approval asylum application; Public opinion about the amendment to the law in asylum.
- Councils at odds over asylum seekers. Merrick, Neil // Public Finance;03/03/2000, p11
Reports on the controversy over the dispersal of asylum seekers around Great Britain. Call for local government officials in London, England and the surrounding areas to use proper channels in order for the provision of facilities in local communities; Government grants as only partially...
- LGA defends scheme to disperse refugees. // Public Finance;12/10/99, p14
Reports on the conflict over a scheme to redistribute asylum seekers in Great Britain. Opposition to the attempt of local authorities to relieve the burden on London and south-east councils; Allegation on the inability of the government to organize the dispersal of the asylum seekers.