RISK SUMMARY: POLAND
- Poland: It's Time For Action, Mr Belka... // Emerging Markets Monitor;6/28/2004, Vol. 10 Issue 12, p13
Reports on the victory of Prime Minister Marek Belka in the general election in Poland in 2004. Number of parliamentary vote of confidence won by Belka during the election; Political party that supports Belka; Forecast on the country's period of short-term asset weakness.
- Spring Cleaning. Jedras, Jakub // Transitions Online;5/10/2004, pN.PAG
Reports on the performance of Polish Prime Minister Marek Belka in his first week in offce in May 2004. Challenges faced by Belka; Information on political parties in the country; Overview of the plans of Belka for the country.
- Poland: Passing the Torch. Kosc, Wojciech // Transitions Online;3/7/2005, pN.PAG
Reports on the state of Polish politics and government as of March 2005. Plan of Prime Minister Marek Belka to move from the ruling Democratic Left Alliance to the Democratic Party; Enhancement of the anti-government rhetoric of the opposition parties; Vision of the Democratic Party for Polish...
- Executive Troubles Take Hold. // Emerging Europe Monitor: Central Europe & Baltic States;May2005, Vol. 12 Issue 5, p4
This article looks at the implication of the planned resignation of Polish Prime Minister Marek Belka effective May 5, 2005 for the incumbent Democratic Left Alliance(SLD). This resignation is consistent with Belka's plan to have an early schedule for the parliamentary election in Poland. His...
- PZU puzzle needs to find missing pieces. Shockley, Paul // Warsaw Business Journal;1/7/2002, Vol. 8 Issue 1, p4
Focuses on the possibility of legally scrapping a deal giving Eureko control of Powszechny Zaklad Ubezpieczen (PZU) by the Treasury Ministry in Poland. Details of the deal; Reaction of Eureko and PZU officials; Impact of the acrimony over privatization to the country's image.
- New working group to decide fate of PZU deal. Shockley, Paul // Warsaw Business Journal;3/25/2002, Vol. 8 Issue 12, p3
Reports the selection of a working group to decide on the fate of the deal between Powszechny Zaklad Ubezpieczee; and Eureko in Poland. Meeting between Treasury Minister Wieslaw Kaczmarek and Eureko; Threat of Eureko to take its case against the country to international arbitration courts;...
- Government dumps insurance deal. Shockley, Paul // Warsaw Business Journal;4/8/2002, Vol. 8 Issue 14, p4
Reports the rejection of Powszechny Zaklad Ubezpiecze&nacute SA; (PZU) on the insurance offer of Eureko company in Poland. Plans of Eureko to increase corporate assets; Factors influencing the decision of the government officials to dump the deal of PZU; Assessment on the investments and...
- chapter 1: Political Outlook. // Poland Business Forecast Report;2005 3rd Quarter, p3
This article presents information on the political conditions in Poland and its impact on the economy. The popularity of the ruling Democratic Left Alliance has fallen to record lows since victory in the 2001 general elections, as the government continues to be encumbered by instability...
- Warsaw's Leadership Upheaval. // Emerging Europe Monitor: Central Europe;May2004, Vol. 11 Issue 5, p1
The tenuous position of the minority SLD-led government in Poland has been compounded by confirmation that Prime Minister Leszek Miller will resign from office with effect from May 2, 2004. In accordance with the constitution, President Alexander Kwasniewski has confirmed that he will nominate...