RISK SUMMARY: LATVIA
- Country Risk Summary: LATVIA. // Emerging Europe Monitor: Russia, CIS & Baltics Monitor;May2003, Vol. 7 Issue 5, p11
This article gives information related to country risk in Latvia as of April-May, 2003. The government has reversed a decision to hold early presidential elections. The vote will now be in late June or early July as planned. President Vaira Vike-Freiberga confirmed she would run for re-election....
- Leader Biography/Photograph. // Latvia Country Review;2001/2002, p27
Profiles President Vaira Vike-Freiberga of the Republic of Latvia. Personal and academic background; Previous positions in government.
- From Barrier to Gateway. Akule, Dace // Transitions Online;11/25/2002, pN.PAG
Interviews Latvian President Vaira Vike-Freiberga on the enlargement of the North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) alliance. His views on the status of Latvia and its value to NATO; Opinion of President Vike-Freiberga on the possible role of Latvia within NATO; Significance of NATO in the...
- CIA - The World Factbook -- Latvia. // CIA World Fact Book;2007, p129
An encyclopedia entry for Latvia is presented. Latvia is located in eastern Europe, between Estonia and Lithuania. Its climate is maritime and its terrain is low plain. The estimated population of Latvia in July 2006 was 2,274,735. As of July 1999, the chief of state was President Vaira...
- Last but Not Least. Druker, Jeremy // Transitions Online;10/6/2003, pN.PAG
Interviews Vaira Vike-Freiberga, president of Latvia. Comment on the resulting pre-referendum polls; Opinion on the future of Latvia, after the referendum; View on the disconnect between the people and the government.
- RISK SUMMARY: LATVIA. // Emerging Europe Monitor: Central Europe & Baltic States;Aug2006, Vol. 13 Issue 8, p11
Presents political risk and macroeconomic prospects for Latvia as of August 2006. Criticism by President Vaira Vike-Freiberga of the quality of some legislation, including amendments to the labor law allowing for discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation; Acceleration of real gross...
- Baltic States Eye EU Accession. // Emerging Europe Financial Alert;9/8/2003, Vol. 2 Issue 16, p3
Whilst support for accession to the EU remains solid in Estonia and fair in Latvia, the Swedish government has failed to create sufficient momentum for a yes vote in its referendum on what represents the next stage of EU membership namely EMU entry. Despite claims by Swedish Prime Minister Goran...
- Remarks on Being Presented the Order of Three Stars, First-Class in Riga, Latvia. Bush, George W. // Weekly Compilation of Presidential Documents;5/16/2005, Vol. 41 Issue 19, p767
Presents the remarks given by U.S. President George W. Bush, on being presented the Order of Three Stars, First Class by Latvian President Vaira Vike-Freiberga in Riga, Latvia on May 7, 2005.
- Remarks Following Discussions With President Vaira Vike-Freiberga of Latvia in Riga. Bush, George W. // Weekly Compilation of Presidential Documents;5/16/2005, Vol. 41 Issue 19, p767
Presents a conversation between U.S. President George W. Bush and President Vaira Vike-Freiberga of Latvia at Riga Castle on May 7, 2005.