- GOVERNMENT AND POLITICAL CONDITIONS. // Background Notes on Countries of the World: Cambodia;Nov2008, p6
The article presents information on government and political conditions in the Kingdom of Cambodia. Cambodia is a constitutional monarch and its constitution provides for a multiparty democracy. Its executive branch comprises the king who is head of state, an appointed prime minister and nine...
- Norodom Sihamoni. Connell, Alyssa // Norodom Sihamoni;2008, p1
A biography of Norodom Sihamoni, king of Cambodia, is presented. He was born on May 14, 1953 in Phnom Penh, Cambodia and studied in Cambodia and Czechoslovakia. He was held prisoner by Pol Pot after the Khmer Rouge took power of Cambodia in 1975. Sihamoni became king in 2004, following the...
- Serious threats to Saudi Arabia's stability. Fandy, Mamoun // Christian Science Monitor;1/19/96, Vol. 88 Issue 37, p19
Reports that the problems of the Saudi Arabian monarchy need to be resolved in order to avoid unnecessary civil unrest and political violence plaguing Egypt and Algeria. Problem of succession; Tension from the Sudairi branch of family; Monitoring of the Saudi regime by Committee for the Defense...
- Asia Beat. // Asian Pacific Post;4/28/2011, p3
This section offers news briefs in Asia, including high gold prices in South Korea, the non-attendance of Cambodian King Norodom Sihamoni at the wedding of Prince William and the plan of the Thai government to ban marriages between Thai women and foreigners over 50 years old.
- CHAPTER 11: KAMEHAMEHA V, LAST OF THE KAMEHAMEHAS. Rayson, Ann; Bauer, Helen // Hawaii: The Pacific State;1997, p49
The article provides information on King Kamehameha V of Hawaii. After the death of Kamehameha IV, the Council acted quickly. Prince Lot, the former king's brother, was named as Kamehameha V. The new king was as well-educated as his brother and had traveled a good deal. When he came to the...
- GOVERNMENT AND POLITICAL CONDITIONS. // Background Notes on Countries of the World: Cambodia;Jun2007, p6
This article offers background on the government and political conditions in Cambodia. The country is a constitutional monarchy and its government was formed on the basis of elections which were internationally recognized as free and fair. The major political parties in the country includes the...
- CHAPTER 14: QUEEN LILI'UOKALANI, LAST QUEEN OF THE ISLANDS. Rayson, Ann; Bauer, Helen // Hawaii: The Pacific State;1997, p59
The article provides information on Queen Lili'uokalani of Hawaii. She had been named by her brother, King KalÄkaua, as his successor. Having gone to the royal school as had other rulers before her, she was well educated and spoke excellent English. Queen Lili'uokalani had a very strong will....
- A bill of rights for Australia--but do we need it? Kirby, Michael // Legaldate;May96, Vol. 8 Issue 2, p1
Examines the issue of the incorporation of a bill of rights in the Australian Constitution. Historical background on attempts to introduce a bill of rights; Arguments against and for a bill of rights. INSET: Student activities, by Peter Alderson..
- ON THE REFUSAL TO ACCEPT FOR CONSIDERATION THE COMPLAINT OF CITIZEN ADEL' VIKTOROVNA GRISHCHENKO AS NOT IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE REQUIREMENTS OF THE FEDERAL CONSTITUTIONAL LAW 'ON THE CONSTITUTIONAL COURT OF THE RUSSIAN FEDERATION' Reynolds, Sarah J. // Statutes & Decisions: The Laws of the USSR & Its Successor State;Sep2001, Vol. 37 Issue 5, p18
Discusses the grounds for the refusal to accept for consideration under the provisions of the federal constitutional law in Russia. Judicial protection; Civil rights; Verification on the basis of citizens' complaints; Nonnormative acts of federal bodies of state power.