Country Risk Summary: Laos
- Draft US bill seeks reciprocal access to Tibet. // Tibetan Review: The Monthly Magazine on all Aspects of Tibet;Jul/Aug2014, Vol. 49 Issue 7/8, p11
The article reports on the introduction of the Reciprocal Access to Tibet Act in the U.S. House of Representatives on June 12, 2014. Topics covered include the demand of China for foreigners to visit Tibet to witness the actual situation, the impact of the restricted access to Tibet on Tibetans...
- White paper's omissions say it all. // Tibetan Review: The Monthly Magazine on all Aspects of Tibet;Oct2010, Vol. 45 Issue 10, p3
The author reflects on the significance of the ninth white paper on human rights in China which was issued by the country's Information Office of the State Council on September 26, 2010. The author notes that the paper stresses that citizens of all the 55 ethnic groups in the country will...
- Developing a Jurisprudence of Difference: The Protection of the Human Rights of Travelling Peoples by the European Court of Human Rights. Sandland, Ralph // Human Rights Law Review;Jul2008, Vol. 8 Issue 3, p475
This article reviews the development of the jurisprudence of the European Court of Human Rights (the Court) relating to the rights of Travelling Peoples. In its early case law on this topic, the Court's approach, in accordance with the principle of the rule of law, was to ensure equality of...
- Bankruptcy Reform Passes House. // Journal of Property Management;Sep/Oct99, Vol. 64 Issue 5, p8
Reports that the United States House has passed a bankruptcy reform act as of September 1999. Provisions of the House bill; Strength of the votes for the bill to override a presidential veto.
- Conference committees may offer fewer fireworks. Feigenbaum, Ed // Indianapolis Business Journal;4/25/2011, Vol. 32 Issue 8, p12A
In this article, the author discusses the effort of the U.S. House of Representatives to offer little opportunity for major policy innovation.
- Pension issues on agenda. Limbacher, Patricia B. // Pensions & Investments;2/3/1997, Vol. 25 Issue 3, p26
States that the 105th Congress in the United States will be focusing on various pension bills. Background on a bill by Democratic Minority Leader Tom Daschle and Republican Majority Leader Trent Lott; Components of the bill; Details on other bills to be introduced in the House.
- Right-wing U.S. House budget bill hurts Michigan families. Lawrence, Brenda // Michigan Citizen;5/4/2014, Vol. 36 Issue 26, pA6
The author discusses issues concerning the adverse impact of the U.S. House budget bill, proposed by the Republicans, on the state of Michigan.
- Bigger may be safer. Wilner, Frank N. // Traffic World;08/10/98, Vol. 255 Issue 6, p13
Announces the invitation of the United States House Surface Transportation Subcommittee on comments about the economic regulation of the trucking industry. Most important economic issue faced by the transportation industry; Implication of the announcement; Why shippers of truckload and...
- Helping hand is welcome. // Business Insurance;10/6/2003, Vol. 37 Issue 40, p8
This article focuses on the enactment of medical malpractice reform legislation. Despite passage by the U.S. House of Representatives of a reasonable bill in early 2003, the effort in the U.S. Senate has stalled. Proponents could not even muster the votes to cut off debate and bring the Senate...