REGIONAL: Macroeconomic Data & Forecasts
- Bird Flu Arrives. // Emerging Europe Monitor: South East Europe Monitor;Dec2005, Vol. 12 Issue 12, p1
The article focuses on the impact of avian influenza on the economy of the European Union countries. The disease, in its present form, will have economic consequences, as trading of live birds and poultry is blocked, and governments are forced to cull or quarantine large numbers of birds that...
- Potential Economic Effects of Avian Influenza on the Poultry Industry in Mississippi. Myles, Albert E.; Hood, Ken; Allen, Albert J. // Journal of Food Distribution Research;Mar2009, Vol. 40 Issue 1, p139
An input-output model was used to estimate the potential economic impact of Avian Influenza (AI) on the Mississippi poultry industry. Research suggests consumer responses to the discovery of the H5NI virus (or AI) in birds have been immediate and dramatic, resulting in significant economic...
- chapter 5: Bird Flu Scenario Tests. // Chile Business Forecast Report;2006 2nd Quarter, p33
The article assesses the potential international economic impact of the avian flu.
- chapter 3: Bird Flu Scenario Tests. // South Africa Business Forecast Report;2006 2nd Quarter, p21
The article presents the bird flu scenario tests conducted by Business Monitor International Ltd. and describes the probable impact of the outbreak on the economy and tourism in South Africa.
- Avian Influenza and Employment Decisions of Poultry Farmers in the Federal Capital Territory of Nigeria. Ibrahim, Hassan Ishaq; Iliyasu, Hussaini; Ibrahim, Hussaini Yusuf; Saingbe, Napoleon D. // Journal of Agricultural Science (1916-9752);Mar2010, Vol. 2 Issue 1, p138
The outbreak of Avian Influenza in Nigeria has led to job losses, health problems, reduction in expected income of poultry farmers and a decrease in the demand for poultry products. This study was designed to determine the monetary value of stock lost, identify the determinants of the future...
- Spent hens almost worthless as foreign markets stay closed. Clarke, Philip // Poultry World;Sep2015, Vol. 170 Issue 9, p6
The article reports on the weakening market value of spent hens in the British poultry sector. Topics discussed include the implications of foreign market closures due to the previous avian influenza outbreak for spent hen prices, remarks from Martin Troop of Noble Foods regarding the closure of...
- Producers urged to prepare for worst. Clarke, Philip // Poultry World;Oct2015, Vol. 170 Issue 10, p37
The article reports that poultry producers in the U.S. and Great Britain need to prepare for the return of avian influenza. The economic impact of avian influenza was put at 3.3 billion dollars including the value of lost layers, lost turkeys and the costs of culling and disposal. Consumers also...
- Bengal's fowl legacy. Branford, Sue // New Statesman;3/24/2008, Vol. 137 Issue 4889, p20
The article describes the economic and social impact of a 2008 outbreak of H5N1 avian flu in the Indian state of West Bengal. The widespread slaughter of poultry, both infected and healthy, was of significant economic detriment to farmers and craftspeople in the region. The article suggests that...
- SASKATCHEWAN. // Canadian Meat Business;Mar/Apr2013, Vol. 12 Issue 2, p28
The article reports that the government of Taiwan lifts its ban on Saskatchewan poultry and poultry products after the Notifiable Avian Influenza (NAI) detection in September 2007.