- Arteriosclerosis in Kidneys From Healthy Live Donors. Haas, Mark; Segev, Dorry L.; Racusen, Lorraine C.; Bagnasco, Serena M.; Melancon, J. Keith; Tan, Miguel; Kraus, Edward S.; Rabb, Hamid; Ugarte, Richard M.; Burdick, James F.; Montgomery, Robert A. // Archives of Pathology & Laboratory Medicine;Jan2008, Vol. 132 Issue 1, p37
Context.â€”Although risks associated with live kidney donation are low, there are few pathologic studies of kidneys from live donors, and possible risk factors for development of hypertension or renal insufficiency remain unknown. There are many studies of histopathologic changes in...
- The Aging Kidney: More Pieces to the Puzzle. Glassock, Richard J. // Mayo Clinic Proceedings;Apr2011, Vol. 86 Issue 4, p271
The author reflects on a study by A. D. Rule and colleagues which analyzes cortical renal biopsy specimens and renal or metabolic functional parameters from transplant donors. The study discovers 73% increase in the frequency of nephrosclerosis in donors 70 to 77 years of age compared to three...
- Black North Carolina Student Receives Kidney From His White Science Teacher. // Jet;05/08/2000, Vol. 97 Issue 22, p31
Focuses on North Carolina eighth-grade science teacher Jane Smith, who donated one of her kidneys to a student, Michael Carter.
- Helping patients give the gift of life. Norton, Daniel J. // RN;Dec90, Vol. 53 Issue 12, p30
Presents information on organ and tissue donation. Criteria for qualified organ donors; Steps in organ solicitation; List of some of the questions raised by families of organ donors. INSET: Tissue donation: A gift almost anyone can give.
- Giving life. Matthews, Trudi // State Government News;Nov/Dec2001, Vol. 44 Issue 10, p28
Reports on the effort of the states in the United States (U.S.) to encourage people to donate organs. Disparity between the numbers of organ donation and organ transplants in the U.S.; Percentage of people who support organ donation based on a national Gallop survey; Information on the...
- rescue mission. Fanning, Haren // Scholastic Choices;Feb/Mar2005, Vol. 20 Issue 5, p18
Presents an argument about organ donation.
- myth or fact? // Scholastic Choices;Feb/Mar2005, Vol. 20 Issue 5, p20
Presents an argument about myth and fact of signing up to be an organ donor.
- Kidneys And The Kindness Of Strangers. Steinberg, David // Health Affairs;Jul/Aug2003, Vol. 22 Issue 4, p184
Relates a physician's encounter with a stranger which made him rethink his preconceptions about altruistic kidney donations in the U.S. Motives of altruistic donors; Religious beliefs of the donor.
- Bioethics. // International Law Update;Sep99, Vol. 5, p110
Reports on the German Constitutional Court's limitation of organ donation by living persons to prevent organ trading and to protect health of living donors.