- Selecting an agent for prophylaxis of venous thromboembolism. Myers, John // American Journal of Health-System Pharmacy;12/15/2006, Vol. 63 Issue 24, p2448
The article presents a question and answer related to the selection of an agent for prophylaxis of venous thromboembolism. Tips on how to optimize prophylaxis use while controlling the pharmacy expenses are offered. Moreover, the use of dalteparin as the formulary low-molecular-weight heparin at...
- Best-practice DVT approach may save health systems $4 million annually. // Hem/Onc Today;6/25/2013, Vol. 14 Issue 12, p54
The article discusses research by Professor John R. Kirkpatrick and colleagues at Georgetown University School of Medicine which examined cost savings from using an approach to deep vein thrombosis prevention that limits the use of sequential compression devices for short-stay procedures.
- The Assessment of Deep Vein Thromboses for Therapeutic Trials. Leizorovicz, Alain; Kassai, Behrouz; Becker, François; Cucherat, Michel // Angiology;Jan2003, Vol. 54 Issue 1, p19
In the current paper, we provide recommendations for the assessment of deep vein thromboses for the purpose of therapeutic trials evaluating antithrombotic drugs in the prevention of deep venous thrombosis. We have reviewed recently published articles on diagnostic and therapeutic studies, and...
- Subcutaneous Heparin Compared with Continuous Intravenous Heparin Administration in the Initial Treatment of Deep Vein Thrombosis. Hommes, Daan W.; Bura, Alessandra; Mazzolai, Lucia; Buller, Harry R.; ten Cate, Jan W. // Annals of Internal Medicine;2/15/92, Vol. 116 Issue 4, p279
Deals with a study which assessed the efficacy and safety of published randomized trials comparing subcutaneous heparin with continuous intravenous heparin for the initial treatment of deep vein thrombosis. Evidence for the use of heparin as antithrombotic drug; Identification of clinical...
- Argatroban. McKeage, K.; Plosker, G.L. // Drugs;Feb2001, Vol. 61 Issue 4, p515
â–´ Argatroban is a direct thrombin inhibitor synthesised to bind to the catalytic site of the thrombin molecule. It binds rapidly and reversibly to both clot-bound and soluble thrombin. â–´ The relatively short elimination half-life of argatroban (39 to 51 minutes) and its reversible...
- Decision analysis model of prolonged oral anticoagulant ... Sarasin, Francois P.; Bounameaux, Henri // BMJ: British Medical Journal (International Edition);01/10/98, Vol. 316 Issue 7125, p95
Presents a study assessing the risks and benefits of oral anticoagulant treatment extended beyond months after a first episode of deep vein thrombosis in patients who carry factor V Leiden mutation. Background information about the study; Description of the decision analysis Markov model;...
- Thrombosis in Patients with the Lupus Anticoagulant. Mueh, John R.; Herbst, Kenneth D.; Rapaport, Samuel I. // Annals of Internal Medicine;Feb80 Part 1, Vol. 92 Issue 2, p156
Determines the frequency of thrombosis in patients with the lupus anticoagulant. Nature of the lupus anticoagulant; Data on autoimmune antibody-related abnormalities in patients with the lupus anticoagulant; Laboratory characteristics of patients with the lupus anticoagulant and thrombosis.
- Oral anticoagulant therapy. Agarwal, Pankaj // Indian Journal of Dental Research;Nov/Dec2012, Vol. 23 Issue 6, p836
The article discusses the aspects of risk of discontinuing the medication and the patient developing thrombosis, in relation to supply of oral anticoagulant therapy.
- DVT challenge. Gannon, Kathi // Drug Topics;8/4/97, Vol. 141 Issue 15, p44
Focuses on deep vein thrombosis (DVT), in relation to dosing accuracy of anticoagulants and complications experienced by surgeons. Reference to the results of a survey; Who conducted the survey; Challenges facing orthopedic surgeons.