- Ibuprofen. // Current Health 2;Dec85, Vol. 12 Issue 4, p22
Now sold over the counter, ibuprofen blocks the production of prostaglandins which causes pain and inflammation. Ibuprofen also lowers fever and there is less danger of death from an overdose as compared with aspirin. However, there are special precautions consumers need to know.
- Orudis joins over-the-counter analgesics. // Executive Health's Good Health Report;Mar1996, Vol. 32 Issue 6, p8
Features the over-the-counter potent analgesic, ORUDIS KT. Application; Composition; Comments from David Goddard, chief of the Long Island College Hospital's Division of Rheumatology.
- Choosing a pain reliever can be a pain in the neck. // Medical Update;Jan94, Vol. 17 Issue 7, p2
Provides information relevant in selecting a pain reliever. Types of pain reliever; Ingredients; Effectiveness; Label information; Generic drugs.
- A new painkiller. // Newsweek;7/9/1984, Vol. 104 Issue 1, p53
Ibuprofen is the first new painkiller, introduced at a nonprescription drug, in 30 years. It sells under the trade names of Advil and Nuprin. However, there are some bothersome questions about it. Although chemically different from aspirin, the new drug has a similar potential for causing...
- How to pick a pain reliever. // Consumer Reports on Health;Mar1996, Vol. 8 Issue 3, p30
Presents information on how to pick a pain reliever with reference to a number of pain-reliever. Information on over-the-counter pain relievers. INSETS: Comparing pain relief.;Over-the-counter pain relievers.;Summing up.;Precautions on pain relievers.
- Ketoprofen's toll on the gut. // Consumer Reports on Health;02/01/97, Vol. 9 Issue 2, p19
Cites results from an analysis of 12 studies of nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs which confirmed that the over-the-counter pain reliever, ketoprofen, is much more likely than the other nonprescription NSAIDs to cause stomach upset and intestinal bleeding. Article published in `British...
- Pain-free choices. H.O. // Skiing;Mar/Apr97, Vol. 49 Issue 7, p21
Presents several guidelines on how skiers can make the right pain-reliever choice. Benefits and side effects; Alleviation of pain; Dosage guidelines.
- Health/fitness. // Skiing;Mar/Apr97, Vol. 49 Issue 7, p22
Presents a chart of pain-relievers which skiers can choose from. Advantages and side effects.
- A needle shot with no pain! // Current Science;9/17/93, Vol. 79 Issue 2, p14
Announces the availability of an analgesic cream that prevents the nerves in the skin from sending pain messages to the brain. Approval by the Food and Drug Administration; Development of cream in Sweden; Prevention of medical needle pain.
- Pain relievers. // Mayo Clinic Health Letter;Apr1994, Vol. 12 Issue 4, p1
Focuses on over-the-counter pain relievers. Differences; Relief for everyday pain; Separating help from hype; Safety rules; Final word.