- Truer words were never written. // CMAJ: Canadian Medical Association Journal;01/15/97, Vol. 156 Issue 2, p155
Reports on King James I of England's `Counterblaste to Tobacco' featured in the `Annals' of the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons in an article by Dr. Watson Buchanan. King James' comments on secondary smoke.
- Are you being used? // Current Health 2;Sep93, Vol. 20 Issue 1, p2
Reports on the public service messages of the Minnesota Department of Health against smoking. Increase in awareness of health risks involved; Drop in the number of smokers due to the ads; Endorsement from the American Heart Association.
- Tobacco-free schools raise a smoke alarm. Peck, Diane DiGiacomo; Acott, Connie // Education Digest;Oct93, Vol. 59 Issue 2, p58
Discusses various aspects of the Colorado Tobacco-Free Schools project which began in 1988. Students Taking a New Direction (STAND); The five key elements which promoted successful implementation of the program; Article in the May 1993 issue of `Journal of School Health'; More.
- The smoke busters. Hwang, Lucia // Scholastic Update;09/22/97, Vol. 130 Issue 2, p18
Reports that anti-smoking activists' continued their efforts in 1997 on reaching millions of young people throughout the United States to eradicate smoking. Mention of on-going lawsuits; Settlements reached. INSET: Your turn..
- Smoke gets in your space. Elovitz, David M. // Engineered Systems;Jul96, Vol. 13 Issue 7, p62
Discusses the development of smoke management systems for buildings and large spaces. Design of systems in the 1960s; Changes in testing and acceptance methods; Requirements for smoke management systems for large volume spaces.
- Canada's weapons in smoke wars. Walker, Ruth // Christian Science Monitor;1/6/2000, Vol. 92 Issue 31, p6
Focuses on the battle against smoking and tobacco in Canada with smoking bans effective January 1, 2000.
- Florida ads persuade teens not to smoke. Richey, Warren // Christian Science Monitor;3/7/2000, Vol. 92 Issue 72, p1
Focuses on the antitobacco campaign in Florida that has proven to be successful.
- How to kick butts. // Men's Health (10544836);Dec94, Vol. 9 Issue 10, p30
Cites research by Michael C. Fiore, M.D., director of the Center for Tobacco Research and Intervention at the University of Wisconsin Medical School, which suggests that the first two weeks are critical for people trying to quit smoking. How people who refrained from smoking completely in the...
- Nicotine fading and smokeholding methods to smoking cessation. Becona, Elisardo; Garcia, M. Pilar // Psychological Reports;Dec93, Vol. 73 Issue 3, p779
Tests a multicomponent behavioral package that contains nicotine fading and smokeholding techniques to stop smoking. Common components; Effectivity of nicotine fading and cigarette fading; Probable contribution of common components.
- Going Smokeless. // Body Bulletin;Nov98, p1
Provides ways on how to avoid smoking. How to deal with chemical dependency; How to avoid situations that make one's wants to smoke. INSET: Project Red Ribbon--Nov. 1, 1998 to Jan. 1, 1999.