- Good control, healthy lifestyle can reduce heart disease risks. // Diabetes in the News;Mar/Apr92, Vol. 11 Issue 2, p12
Presents excerpts from speeches delivered at the New Aspects in Diabetes symposium in London last November. Speeches by Harold Lebovitz, M.D., Thomas Weihrauch, M.D., Hans Uwe Janka, M.D.; Smoking and high blood pressure; Daily aspirin intake; Glucose control; Blocking starch with acarbose;...
- Pancreas or combined pancreas/kidney transplants offer hope of `cure' for so me Type I diabetes. Jaspan, J.B. // Diabetes in the News;Mar/Apr92, Vol. 11 Issue 2, p16
Summarizes research scientists's attempts to cure diabetes through pancreas or combined pancreas/kidney transplants. Transplant techniques; Dual kidney/pancreas transplants; Risks involved; Anti-rejection drugs; Candidate requirements; Insurance coverage; Financial aspects; Survival rates. ...
- Improving blood glucose monitoring for diabetes. Meadows, S. // FDA Consumer;May90, Vol. 24 Issue 4, p32
Reports how self monitoring of blood glucose (SMBG) can be a boon to persons with diabetes, but the many reports of problems with SMBG has caused the Food and Drug Administration to search for ways in which the process can be improved. Explanation of diabetes; Benefits of SMBG and procedure;...
- Association between exercise and other preventive health behaviors among diabetics. Summerson, J.H.; Konen, J.C. // Public Health Reports;Sep/Oct91, Vol. 106 Issue 5, p543
Investigates cross-sectional association between exercise and other preventive health behaviors in a diabetic population. Beneficial effects of exercise; Methods; Results; Discussion; More.
- A new national research commitment. // Countdown;Summer95, Vol. 16 Issue 3, p25
Reports on a renewed federal commitment in the United States to research for the prevention, treatment and cure of diabetes. February 1995 Capitol Summit on Diabetes Research in Washington, D.C.; Proposal of the National Diabetes Research Coalition and the Juvenile Diabetes Foundation...
- Lack of knowledge of symptoms of hypoglycemia by elderly diabetic patients. Thomson, F.J.; Masson, E.A. // Age & Ageing;Nov91, Vol. 20 Issue 6, p404
Looks at how the knowledge of symptoms of hypoglycemia of 45 consecutive elderly diabetic patients was assessed during a structured interview and compared with that of an age-matched non-diabetic control group. Introduction; Methods; Results; Discussion.
- A Defective Beta-Cell Glucose Sensor as a Cause of Diabetes. Weir, Gordon C. // New England Journal of Medicine;3/11/93, Vol. 328 Issue 10, p729
Editorial. Focuses on an article by Froguel, et al, in the March 11, 1993 issue of the `New England Journal of Medicine,' in which they describe the detection of 16 mutations of the glucokinase gene on chromosome 7 in 18 of 22 families with maturity-onset diabetes of the young.
- Diabetes has link with many other diseases. // Diabetes in the News;Sep/Oct92, Vol. 11 Issue 5, p28
Discusses the link with obesity and diabetes, dealing mostly with Type II diabetes, and reminds that this is only one of the diseases that occur along with diabetes. Large blood vessel disease involving the arteries of the heart; Hypertension (high blood pressure) quite common and dangerous;...
- Effect of long-term monitoring of glycosylated hemoglobin levels in insulin-dependent diabetes... Larsen, M.L.; Horder, M. // New England Journal of Medicine;10/11/90, Vol. 323 Issue 15, p1021
Details a study to determine the effect of long-term monitoring of glycosylated hemoglobin levels in insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus (IDDM). Background; Methods; Results; Conclusions.
- Improvement of gastric emptying in diabetic gastroparesis by erythromycin. Janssens, J.; Peeters, T.L. // New England Journal of Medicine;4/12/90, Vol. 322 Issue 15, p1028
Describes a study to examine the effect of erythromycin on the impaired gastric emptying of patients with severe diabetic gastroparesis. Study details; Preliminary results; Discussion.