- Should Congress Authorize Use Of The Death Penalty For Continuing Criminal Enterprise Drug Offenses? // Congressional Digest;Nov86, Vol. 65 Issue 11, p280
Should H.R. 5484, the Omnibus Drug Enforcement, Education and Control Act of 1986, provide for the use of the death penalty to deter drug sales? Debated.
- Existing Federal Death Penalty Laws. // Congressional Digest;Nov90, Vol. 69 Issue 11, p.261
Summarizes a Congressional Research Service report entitled `Present Federal Death Penalty Statutes,' which lists current Federal capital punishment statutes.
- Execution day in Riyadh. // Commentary;Feb1986, Vol. 81 Issue 2, p39
In l980, the beheadings that regularly took place in the capital were the stuff of legend. The author witnessed a beheading and reports that the natives were terrified and knew the executions were a way for the government to show power.
- New fervor for death penalty. Gabrels, Sara Terry // Christian Science Monitor;11/4/97, Vol. 89 Issue 238, p1
Notes that the Massachusetts state legislature voted to reinstate the death penalty in response to overwhelming public support for capital punishment. The changing nature of the debate over capital punishment; The emotional nature of grievances; How the death penalty tilts the justice system in...
- `Gentle' Canada eyes death penalty again. Clayton, Mark // Christian Science Monitor;7/19/95, Vol. 87 Issue 163, p7
Reports on a debate in Canada regarding over possible reinstatement of the death penalty. Details of a poll by the Toronto-based Angus Reid Group polling company regarding the issue; Background of the abolition of death penalty in Canada.
- Death penalty: Right or wrong? // Current Events;10/13/89, Vol. 89 Issue 5, p2a
Examines the debate over the death penalty (capital punishment). Life on Death Row at San Quentin prison (Calif.); Arguments for and against; Supreme Court rulings. INSET: Too young to die? (Supreme Court rulings on the execution of....
- The death penalty: Is it right? // Current Events;10/4/91, Vol. 91 Issue 4, p2a
Presents arguments for and against the death penalty. Also called capital punishment; Texas leads in executions; Death row numbers growing; Opponents cite wrongful deaths, unfairness; Supporters' arguments; Supreme Court rulings; Methods of executions. INSET: The death penalty in history..
- The death penalty dinosaur. Dieter, R. // Commonweal;1/15/88, Vol. 115 Issue 1, p11
Capital punishment is heading for extinction. The present population of death rows across the US; State laws; Capital punishment as a deterrence not improvable. Legislation is being introduced by Representative John Conyers (D.-Mich.) to consider the death penalty a civil rights issue.
- Fetal alcohol and felony. // Hastings Center Report;May/Jun92, Vol. 22 Issue 3, p28
Discusses the debate between supporters and opponents of the death penalty in California. The Harris case; Governor Pete Wilson; Maternal-fetal conflict; Fetal Alcohol Syndrome; Drug Abuse; Insanity Defense; Whom to blame and how; Consequences for future criminal trials.