- Book review. // Applied Physiology, Nutrition & Metabolism;Jun2013, Vol. 38 Issue 6, p698
The article reviews the book "Sarcopenia," edited by A. Cruz-Jentoft and J.E. Morley.
- Aran-Duchenne disease. // Taber's Cyclopedic Medical Dictionary (2009);2009, Issue 21, p170
An encyclopedia entry for "Aran-Duchenne disease," which pertains to spinal muscular atrophy, is presented.
- SMN1 and NAIP genes deletions in different types of spinal muscular atrophy in Khuzestan province, Iran. Nezhad, Seyed Reza Kazemi; Mosavi, Fatemeh; Galehdari, Ali Akbar Momen Hamid; Mohamadian, Gholamreza // Medical Journal of the Islamic Republic of Iran;Dec2011, Vol. 25 Issue 4, p216
Background: Spinal muscular atrophy (SMA) is the second most common lethal autosomal recessive disease. It is a neuromuscular disorder caused by degenerative of lower motor neurons and occasionally bulbar neurons leading to progressive limb paralysis and muscular atrophy. The SMN1 gene is...
- SPINAL MUSCULAR ATROPHY: STRATEGIES FOR LIVING. Braverman, Jane // Exceptional Parent;Oct2001, Vol. 31 Issue 10, p94
Provides information on spinal muscular atrophy (SMA). Description of the disease; Types of SMA; List of activities where children with SMA should engage in; Effective therapy for persons afflicted with SMA.
- Peripheral and segmental spinal abnormalities of median and ulnar somatosensory evoked potentials in Hirayama's disease. Polo, A.; Dossi, M. Curro; Fiaschi, A.; Zanette, G.P.; Rizzuto, N. // Journal of Neurology, Neurosurgery & Psychiatry;May2003, Vol. 74 Issue 5, p627
Objectives: To investigate the origin of juvenile muscle atrophy of the upper limbs (Hirayama's disease, a type of cervical myelopathy of unknown origin). Subjects: Eight male patients were studied; data from 10 normal men were used as control. Methods: Median and ulnar nerve somatosensory...
- Respiratory weakness in neuralgic amyotrophy: report of two cases with phrenic nerve involvement. Nardone, R.; Bernhart, H.; Pozzera, A.; Taddei, M.; Tezzon, F. // Neurological Sciences;Jun2000, Vol. 21 Issue 3, p177
An isolated affection of the phrenic nerve is a rare feature in patients with neuralgic amyotrophy. We report 1 case each of bilateral and unilateral phrenic neuropathy. The first patient presented a sudden onset of severe respiratory failure without pain. The second patient developed intense...
- Regions essential for the interaction between Bcl-2 and SMN, the spinal muscular atrophy disease gene product. Sato, K; Eguchi, Y; Kodama, T S; Tsujimoto, Y // Cell Death & Differentiation;Apr2000, Vol. 7 Issue 4, p374
The SMN gene is implicated in spinal muscular atrophy (SMA), and its product has been shown to interact with Bcl-2 protein to enhance its anti-apoptotic activity. In this study, we determined the regions that were essential for the interaction of Bcl-2 and SMN by co-immunoprecipitation of...
- Hirayama's syndrome. // Taber's Cyclopedic Medical Dictionary (2009);2009, Issue 21, p1081
A definition of the medical term "Hirayama's syndrome," which refers to monomelic amyotrophy, is presented.
- myatrophy, myoatrophy. // Taber's Cyclopedic Medical Dictionary (2009);2009, Issue 21, p1520
A definition of the terms "myatrophy" and "myoatropy" which refer to muscular wasting is presented.