Incorrect mathematical symbol
- Common logical errors in applying mathematics to economics. Miller, Edward M. // Atlantic Economic Journal;Sep91, Vol. 19 Issue 3, p65
Discusses the risks of using mathematical equations, notation, concept of function by economists. Reasons why economics may not be a precise science.
- CLEVER MESOPOTAMIANS. Hafford, William B. // Calliope;Jul/Aug2010, Vol. 20 Issue 9, p10
The article offers information on symbols and units of numbers which were used in Mesopotamia to measure any physical aspect including height, volume, and weight.
- ERRATUM. // Journal of Mammalogy;Apr2010, Vol. 91 Issue 2, p529
A correction to the article "Optimal Migration Strategies in Bats," by Anders HedenstrÃ¶m, published in the December 2009 issue is presented.
- DIG THESE ROMAN NUMERALS! // Scholastic DynaMath;Sep2006, Vol. 25 Issue 1, p8
A quiz concerning Roman numerals is presented.
- Unpacking the logic of mathematical statements. Selden, John; Selden, Annie // Educational Studies in Mathematics;Sep95, Vol. 29 Issue 2, p123
Focuses on undergraduate students' ability to unpack informally written mathematical statements in the language of predicate calculus. Survey protocol; Notion of proof framework; Relationship between unpacking and validation.
- Ordinal diagrams for recursively Mahlo universes. Arai, Toshiyasu // Archive for Mathematical Logic;2000, Vol. 39 Issue 5, p353
Abstract. In this paper we introduce a recursive notation system O(mu) of ordinals. An element of the notation system is called an ordinal diagram following G. Takeuti . The system is designed for proof theoretic study of theories of recursively Mahlo universes. We show that for each alpha <...
- Precedence tests and Lehmann alternatives. Van der Laan, Paul; Chakraborti, Subha // Statistical Papers;2001, Vol. 42 Issue 3, p301
Discusses the precedence tests in the context of several classes of one-sided Lehmann-type statistical alternatives. Classes of Lehmann-type alternatives; Notation of the order statistical alternative; Relation between optimal precedence tests.
- Problem section. // Statistical Papers;2001, Vol. 42 Issue 3, p412
Presents several statistical problems and proposed notations. Recognition of the first order moving average process; Measurement of the mean and variance; Proof of the variance matrix.
- Million-dollar question -- cont'd. Daniels, Fredk W. // Accountancy;Mar1977, Vol. 88 Issue 1003, p30
A response by Fredk W. Daniels to a letter to the editor regarding the use of lower case "m" to represent 1,000 or one million, which was published in the January 1977 issue, is presented.