- Reaching for over-the-counter pain relief. Steele, W. // Current Health 2;Dec88, Vol. 15 Issue 4, p16
Discusses over-the-counter pain relievers. Selection; Advice; Pain interference; Safety; Caution; Dosage.
- The practice of anesthesiology. // FDA Consumer;Jun84, Vol. 18 Issue 5, p24
Today, `to bite the bullet' means to face up to a tough situation. A hundred years ago, it was a means of enduring surgery. But today's anesthesiologist has a number of safer and easier ways of getting a patient through an operation.
- Comparing analgesics. // Consumer Reports;Feb1987, Vol. 52 Issue 2, p82
Analysis of the differences between aspirin, acetaminophen and ibuprofen, comparing the pain relief obtained in muscular, menstrual and toothache pain. INSET: Nuprin & Tylenol marketing wars.;What price pain relief?.
- Cancer hurts before it kills. Clark, M. // Newsweek;12/19/88, Vol. 112 Issue 25, p58
Discusses the failure of medical science to adequately deal with the pain often suffered by patients in advanced stages of cancer. While the World Health Organization believes 90 percent of patients could be helped by drugs or other pain-relieving techniques, an estimated 3.5 million cancer...
- General anesthesia. // Mayo Clinic Health Letter;Mar1995, Vol. 13 Issue 3, p6
Provides information on the use of general anesthesia. Factors credited with reducing complications and accidental deaths during general anesthesia; Use of newer fast-acting drugs; Standards set by the American Society of Anesthesiologists; Monitoring devices to ensure an adequate supply of...
- Pain-control guidelines. Wernick, Sarah // Working Mother;Jul93, p16
Presents guidelines on managing pain issued by the Agency for Health Care Policy and Research of the Department of Health and Human Services. Issue of health and comfort; Inadequate relief from outmoded medical practices.
- How doctors use anesthetics. // Current Health 1;May97, Vol. 20 Issue 9, p13
Provides information on how physicians use anesthesia. Examples of child having tonsils removed; Anesthetical masks; Drowsy effect of sedatives. INSET: Types of anesthesia..
- In situ anesthetic. // Cortlandt Forum;1/25/96, Vol. 9 Issue 1, p111
Looks at how a physician offered suggestions on the administering of anesthesia.
- How to take your medicine. Folkenberg, J. // FDA Consumer;Jan/Feb91, Vol. 25 Issue 1, p31
Part VII. Discusses acetaminophen-codeine, one of the most widely prescribed pain relievers in the United States. Conditions it treats; How to take; Missed doses; Relief of symptoms; Side effects; Precautions.
- Needle-free dermal anesthesia. // Materials Management in Health Care;May97, Vol. 6 Issue 5, p87
Features Anestrode Numby Stuff, a noninvasive, needle-free local dermal anesthesia system developed by Iomed.