- Full results on risks of epoetin emerge 14 years after study. Epstein, Keith // BMJ: British Medical Journal (Overseas & Retired Doctors Edition;5/26/2012, Vol. 344 Issue 7858, p2
The article reports on a new retrospective study published in the March 2012 issue of the journal "Kidney International" which shows that researchers under-reported serious side effects and overstated the advantages of high doses of the drug epoetin alfa in patients undergoing haemodialysis.
- Correction: Emerging biological roles for erythropoietin in the nervous system. Brines, Michael; Cerami, Anthony // Nature Reviews Neuroscience;Aug2005, Vol. 6 Issue 8, p659
Presents a correction to the article "Emerging biological roles for erythropoietin in the nervous system," by Michael Brines and Anthony Cerami that was previously published in a 2005 issue of "Nature Reviews Neuroscience" journal.
- BIOPHARMACEUTICALS: A suggestion of storms ahead. Smith, Adam // Nature Reviews Drug Discovery;Apr2002, Vol. 1 Issue 4, p254
Focuses on recombinant human erythropoietin or epoetin. Role of epoetin in the production of red blood cells; Use of epoetin in the treatment of patients in whom the production of the human hormone erythropoietin is impaired; Degree of specificity; High therapeutic index.
- Use of Recombinant Human Erythropoietin as an Antianemic and Performance Enhancing Drug. Jelkmann, W. // Current Pharmaceutical Biotechnology;Jul2000, Vol. 1 Issue 1, p11
The glycoprotein hormone erythropoietin is an essential viability and growth factor for the erythrocytic progenitors in the bone marrow. Tissue hypoxia is the main stimulus for the synthesis of the hormone in the kidneys and the liver. Endogenous erythropoietin and recombinant human...
- SC to IV EPO Conversion Findings Differ from Earlier Reports. // Kidney;Jan/Feb99, Vol. 8 Issue 1, p36
Summarizes a study which sought to examine whether the conversion from subcutaneous (sc) to intravenous (iv) erythropoietin (EPO) administration during hemodialysis influences the hematologic parameters and EPO dosage when an adequate iron status was maintained. Absence of changes in EPO dose...
- Trends in Use, Cost, and Outcomes of Human Recombinant Erythropoietin, 1989-98. Greer, Joel W.; Milam, Roger A. // Health Care Financing Review;Spring99, Vol. 20 Issue 3, p55
Provides information on a study which presented descriptive data showing trends in human recombinant erythropoietin doses, charges and patient hematocrits from the fourth quarter of 1989 to the first quarter of 1998. Methodology of the study; Results and discussion on the study.
- Pure Red-Cell Aplasia and Recombinant Erythropoietin. // New England Journal of Medicine;8/8/2002, Vol. 347 Issue 6, p458
A correction to the article "Pure Red-Cell Aplasia and Recombinant Erythropoietin" that was published in the May 16, 2002 issue is presented.
- Role of erythropoietin in cortisol-induced hypertension. Kelly, J J; Martin, A; Whitworth, J A // Journal of Human Hypertension;Mar2000, Vol. 14 Issue 3, p195
The mechanism of cortisol-induced hypertension remains unknown. We investigated a possible role of erythropoietin (EPO) as a mediator of hypertension in healthy male subjects treated with cortisol. In Study 1, blood pressure (BP) and serum EPO concentrations were measured on alternate days in...
- Erythropoitin: an old friend revisited. Hambley, Henry // BMJ: British Medical Journal (International Edition);3/10/90, Vol. 300 Issue 6725, p621
Examines on stimulation of blood production by erythropoietin. Changes in the serum erythropoietin activity; Utilization of recombinant human erythropoietin in clinical setting; Source of erythropoietin.
- The Anemia of Primary Autonomic Failure and its Reversal with Recombinant Erythropoietin. Biaggioni, Italo; Robertson, David; Krantz, Sanford; Jones, Mark; Haile, Virginia // Annals of Internal Medicine;8/1/94, Vol. 121 Issue 3, p181
Objective: To determine if chronic sympathetic deprivation is associated with anemia and a low erythropoietin response. Design: Survey of the prevalence and characteristics of anemia in patients with severe primary autonomic failure. Setting: A referral service for autonomic failure in a...