Appendicitis in pregnancy: a rare presentation
- APPENDICITIS IN PREGNANCY. Sharma, Ram Gopal // Indian Obstetrics & Gynaecology;2013, Vol. 3 Issue 2, p12
The article presensts a research that investigates the health implications of appendicitis on pregnant women in the U.S. The topics discussed include the surgical emergencies-related issues experienced by pregnant women with acute appendicitis, the health risk posed by acute appendicitis, and...
- Case Report and Management of Suspected Acute Appendicitis in Pregnancy. Murariu, Daniel; Tatsuno, Brent; Hirai, Cori-Ann M.; Takamori, Ryan // Hawaii Medical Journal;Feb2011, Vol. 70 Issue 2, p30
Suspected cases of acute appendicitis in pregnancy are considered surgical emergencies due to the potentially devastating outcomes for both mother and unborn child if the appendix perforates. Acute appendicitis is also the number one cause of non-traumatic acute abdomen in pregnancy, as well as...
- The HELLP syndrome: Clinical issues and management. A Review. Haram, Kjell; Svendsen, Einar; Abildgaard, Ulrich // BMC Pregnancy & Childbirth;2009, Vol. 9, Special section p1
Background: The HELLP syndrome is a serious complication in pregnancy characterized by haemolysis, elevated liver enzymes and low platelet count occurring in 0.5 to 0.9% of all pregnancies and in 10-20% of cases with severe preeclampsia. The present review highlights occurrence, diagnosis,...
- The quality of maternity care services as experienced by women in the Netherlands. Wiegers, Therese A. // BMC Pregnancy & Childbirth;2009, Vol. 9, Special section p1
Background: Maternity care is all care in relation to pregnancy, childbirth and the postpartum period. In the Netherlands maternity care is provided by midwives and general practitioners (GPs) in primary care and midwives and gynecologists in secondary care. To be able to interpret women's...
- Deciduosis of the Appendix. Suster, Saul; Moran, Cesar S. // American Journal of Gastroenterology;Jul1990, Vol. 85 Issue 7, p841
A clinicopathologic and immunohistochemical study of six cases of deciduosis of the appendix is presented. I he patients were pregnant women aged 18-40 years. In four cases, the patients presented with signs and symptoms of acute appendicitis during their 26th to 31st week of pregnancy; in the...
- Periappendicitis: Is it a Clinical Entity? Mukherjee, Asish; Schlenker, Evelyn; LaMasters, Teresa; Johnson, Melissa; Brunz, Jamie; Thomas, Eric // American Surgeon;Oct2002, Vol. 68 Issue 10, p913
The aim of this study was to identify clinical parameters that may help distinguish periappendicitis from the more common clinical entity of acute appendicitis. Serosal inflammation of the appendix without mucosal involvement constitutes the condition known as periappendicitis. In most...
- Appendicitis. // Mayo Clinic Health Letter;Sep1999, Vol. 17 Issue 9, p7
Provides information on appendicitis. Myths; Signs and symptoms; Contraindications when seeking treatment; Surgery.
- Appendix Attack. Lew, Kristi // Current Health 1;Feb2009, Vol. 32 Issue 6, p15
The article offers information on appendicitis and its symptoms.
- McBurney's sign. // Taber's Cyclopedic Medical Dictionary (2009);2009, Issue 21, p1415
A definition of the medical term "McBurney's sign" which refers to the rigidity and tenderness at McBurney's point which could be a symptom of appendicitis is presented.