Treatment of Visual Hallucinations in Schizophrenia by Acetylcholinesterase Inhibitors: a case report
- Acetylcholinesterase Inhibitors (AChEI's) for the treatment of visual hallucinations in schizophrenia: a case report. Patel, Sachin S.; Attard, Azizah; Jacobsen, Pamela; Shergill, Sukhi // BMC Psychiatry;2010, Vol. 10, p68
Background: Visual hallucinations are commonly seen in various neurological and psychiatric disorders including schizophrenia. Current models of visual processing and studies in diseases including Parkinsons Disease and Lewy Body Dementia propose that Acetylcholine (Ach) plays a pivotal role in...
- Valproic acid. // Reactions Weekly;3/26/2011, Issue 1344, p30
The article describes the case of a 21-year-old woman who started receiving valproic acid 500 milligrams (mg)/day, titrated up to 750 mg/day within 4 days, for an acute exacerbation of hallucinations and aggressive behaviour.
- Tramadol abuse. // Reactions Weekly;5/25/2013, Issue 1454, p40
An abstract of the article "Musical auditive hallucinations secondary to tramadol administration: A case report," by B. Artaso Irigoyen and colleagues is presented.
- Quetiapine. // Reactions Weekly;02/09/2013, Issue 1438, p26
The article presents a case study of a 59-year-old woman who developed fulminant hepatic failure while being treated with quetiapine for hallucinations.
- Lorazepam-induced Short-term Remission of Symptoms in a Case of Paranoid Schizophrenia. Parkar, Shubhangi R.; Dhuri, Chetali; Kumar, V. Arun // Indian Journal of Psychological Medicine;Jul-Dec2011, Vol. 33 Issue 2, p205
Conventionally, antipsychotics are used to treat schizophrenia due to predominant dopamine antagonist activity. The use of various types of Benzodiazepines (BZDs) in the treatment of Schizophrenic symptoms like agitation and psychotic excitement in general and control of florid psychotic...
- Learn to Provide Comfort and Care to CBS Patients. Dunatov, Katherine; Gruosso, Paul; Miller, Joseph; Cantrell, Jenette // Review of Optometry;Oct2013, Vol. 150 Issue 10, p36
The article presents a case study of an 88-year-old man who had a blast injury in his left eye and was having intermittent visual hallucinations in his left eye for two years. Magnetic resonance imaging and a computed tomography scan of his brain were performed and a significant cortical...
- Donepezil. // Reactions Weekly;1/21/2012, Issue 1385, p17
The article describes the case of a man in his early 70s who developed delusional parasitosis while receiving donepezil for suspected mild vascular cognitive treatment.
- Galantamine. // Reactions Weekly;9/21/2013, Issue 1470, p22
An abstract of the article "Involuntary weight loss after switching acetylcholinesterase inhibitors," by J. T. Stewart and colleagues is presented.
- Two cases of intractable auditory hallucination successfully treated with sound therapy. Kaneko, Yutaka; Oda, Yasuhiko; Goto, Fumiyuki // International Tinnitus Journal;2010, Vol. 16 Issue 1, p29
We report two cases of patients with schizoaffective disorder with treatment-refractory auditory verbal hallucinations (AVHs) who were successfully treated with sound therapy, which is effective to treat tinnitus. AVHs in both patients were alleviated within about one month, and no recurrence...