Non-Didactic, a Culture of Peace, and 'Some Cat from Brazil': A Case Study of Negotiating a Dialogic Curriculum with Incarcerated Girls
- Creating a Culture of Peace in the Elementary Classroom. Hunter, Tiffany J. // Education Digest;Sep2008, Vol. 74 Issue 1, p54
The article explores strategies for developing a classroom environment that encourages values such as inclusive compassion, social justice, service, and peacemaking. The author reflects on using the internet as a resource in peace education, and describes the creation of a peace corner in the...
- All Ellas: Girls Locked Up. Dohrn, Bernardine // Feminist Studies;Summer2004, Vol. 30 Issue 2, p302
Focuses on the system of incarceration for female offenders in the U.S. Details of physical and sexual abuse among incarcerated girls; Offenses that led teenage girls to incarceration; Increase in the number of female offenders incarcerated in private correctional facilities; Concerns on...
- Evaluating the Efficacy of the Prodigy Prevention Program across Urban and Rural Locales. Stewart, Chris; Rapp-Paglicci, Lisa; Rowe, William // Child & Adolescent Social Work Journal;Feb2009, Vol. 26 Issue 1, p65
Comorbid juvenile offenders are an overlooked, vulnerable population which tend to present with a more diagnostically serious picture. Their arrest rates have dramatically increased over the last 10 years, yet there is a dearth of prevention and intervention programs available. This study...
- Girls Done Wrong. Smith, Patricia // New York Times Upfront;1/21/2002, Vol. 134 Issue 8, p13
Focuses on the increase in the number of girls arrested in the United States. Percentage increase in delinquency cases involving girls; Crimes done leading to arrest; Reasons for the increase in the number of girls arrested.
- A party that went terribly wrong. Sillars, Les // Alberta Report / Newsmagazine;9/09/96, Vol. 23 Issue 39, p22
Discusses the conviction in the summer of 1996 of two teenage girls on charges of manslaughter and robbery. Circumstances of the July 8, 1995 murder of Kulwarn Dhiman; The testimony of a third girl, who had pled guilty to robbery in 1995; Their defense.
- Spirited youth or fiends incarnate: The Samarcand arson case and female adolescence in the... Cahn, Susan // Journal of Women's History;Winter98, Vol. 9 Issue 4, p152
Provides information on the examination of the 1931 arson trial of sixteen inmates of the North Carolina reformatory for delinquent girls. Detailed information on female delinquents and the dilemma of white citizenship; Indepth look at sexuality and self.
- Rise in Number of Girls In Colorado Jails. Harry, Jennifer L. // Corrections Today;Apr99, Vol. 61 Issue 2, p12
Reports on the increase in the number of girls going to jail in Colorado. Figures from 1993 to 1998; Expectations in 2004.
- A mother's betrayal. DiConsiglio, John // Redbook;Aug2000, Vol. 195 Issue 2, p116
Narrates the story of a 14-year old girl who murdered her abusive stepfather.
- Teaching conversational social skills to delinquent youth. Mathur, Sarup R.; Rutherford Jr., Robert B. // Behavioral Disorders;Aug94, Vol. 19 Issue 4, p294
Examines the effectiveness of a Positive Talk curriculum in promoting conversational and social skills in female juvenile delinquents. Verbal skills included; Incorporation of components of explanation of target skills; Positive talk vocabulary; Transfer of skills from the classroom to a...