Polypharmacy, multiple natural health products and hepatotoxicity
- LIVER DISEASE. Tatum IV, William O.; Kaplan, Peter W.; Jallon, Pierre // Epilepsy A to Z: A Concise Encyclopedia;2009, p199
An encyclopedia entry for "Liver Disease" is presented. Liver plays an important role in the drug metabolism of humans. The pharmacokinetics of all drugs, such as antiepileptic drugs (AEDs), can be affected by liver disease (LD). In patients with epilepsy (PWE), LD may emerge as a complication...
- Desflurane. // Reactions Weekly;5/7/2005, Issue 1050, p10
Presents the case of an elderly woman who developed severe hepatotoxicity with hepatic encephalopathy after receiving desflurane for intraoperative anaesthesia. Drugs given to the patient after undergoing an uneventful hemicolectomy for adenocarcinoma; Result of laboratory investigations.
- Retrospective Study of the Clinical Profile and Prognostic Indicators in Patients of Alcoholic Liver Disease Admitted to a Tertiary Care Teaching Hospital in Western Nepal. Pathak, Om K.; Paudel, Raju; Panta, Om B.; Pant, Hom P.; Giri, Bishnu R.; Adhikari, Baikuntha // Saudi Journal of Gastroenterology;Jul2009, Vol. 15 Issue 3, p171
Background/Aim: Alcohol is the most common substance abused in Nepal. Liver disease caused by alcohol abuse, including its end stage, cirrhosis, is a major health care problem, which is difficult to treat. Objectives: To study the demographic profile, laboratory parameters, complications and...
- Cholostase und Leberinsuffizienz beim Intensivpatienten. Kredel, M.; Brederlau, J.; Roewer, N.; Wunder, C. // Anaesthesist;Dec2008, Vol. 57 Issue 12, p1172
Cornerstones of the diagnostic investigations of disturbances in liver function are analysis and sophisticated evaluation of serum liver enzymes, bilirubin and ammonia. Coagulation factors, serum albumin and cholinesterase levels are indicators of the hepatic metabolic capacity. Dynamic...
- The protective effect of Nigella sativa oil in the brain of the biliary obstructed rats. Toklu, Hale Zerrin; İnac, Tülay Akmandor; Şehirli, Ahmet Özer; Şener, Göksel // Marmara Pharmaceutical Journal;Jan2013, Vol. 17 Issue 1, p46
Oxidative stress is one of the important mechanisms of jaundice induced encephalopathy. The aim of this study was to examine the possible protective effect of Nigella sativa (NS) seed oil against the oxidative stress of brain tissue induced by experimental obstructive jaundice in rats. BiliarY...
- Seizures associated with local anaesthetic intoxication. Landy, C.; Gagnon, N.; Boulland, P.; Raynaud, L.; Plancade, D. // BJA: The British Journal of Anaesthesia;Sep2012, Vol. 109 Issue 3, p463
No abstract available.
- Paracetamol/diphenhydramine overdose: Delayed hepatic encephalopathy: case report. // Reactions Weekly;Nov2013, Issue 1477, p27
The article presents a case study of of a boy who overdosed on paracetamol and diphenhydramine and subsequently developed delayed hepatic encephalopathy.
- Spinal myoclonus in a patient with hepatic encephalopathy. Na, Seung-Hee; Park, Hyung-Eun; Kim, Joong-Seok // Neurological Sciences;Apr2015, Vol. 36 Issue 4, p635
No abstract available.
- Multiple drugs. // Reactions Weekly;Mar2015, Vol. 1541 Issue 1, p194
An abstract of the article "Multidrug toxicity involving sumatriptan," by J. L. Knittel and colleagues is presented.