Sisters Behind the Wire: Reappraising Australian Military Nursing and Internment in the Pacific during World War II
- First, some hot soup, then a run for cover. Winslow, Barbarah Straed // Christian Science Monitor;4/28/95, Vol. 87 Issue 107, p9
Part IV. Describes the escape of Barbarah Straede and Heinz Cramer from Berlin to the American camps near river Elbe during the World War II, year 1945.
- Beyond the Call of Duty: Army Flight Nursing in World War II. Knight, G. Alan // Journal of America's Military Past;Winter2014, Vol. 39 Issue 1, p84
No abstract available.
- Former WWII prisoners of war in Japanese camps. Hanson, Cynthia; McLaughlin, Abraham // Christian Science Monitor;7/28/95, Vol. 87 Issue 170, p2
Reports march by World War II prisoners to demand repatriation benefits from the Japanese government.
- Canadian relief agencies and prisoners of war, 1939-45. Vance, Jonathan F. // Journal of Canadian Studies;Summer96, Vol. 31 Issue 2, p133
Discusses the role of Canadian relief agencies in alleviating the plight of prisoners of war during World War II. Results of government attempts to coordinate the efforts of the Canadian Red Cross Society, the War Prisoners' Aid to the YMCA and the Canadian POW Relatives Association; Praise for...
- A clouded homecoming? Shephard, Ben // History Today;Aug96, Vol. 46 Issue 8, p10
Focuses on the psychological disorders suffered by prisoners of war (POWs) of the Second World War. Absence of readjustment scheme established for prisoners of the Japanese; Destructive effects of idleness, sexual deprivation and military impotence; Problems suffered after returning;...
- 'Keeper of the Keys'. Wright, Kathy D. // Army Reserve Magazine;Spring2001, Vol. 47 Issue 1, p22
Reports on United States Army Reserve officer Ted Szakmary's trip to Southeast Asia which led to the unveiling of facts about his father's war experiences as a Hungarian prisoner of war of American forces during World War II.
- Bombardier. Brick, William // American History;Apr/May95, Vol. 30 Issue 1, p60
Relates the experiences of the author as a prisoner of war during World War II. Bombing mission in Austria aboard a B-17 bomber; Downing of the aircraft; Capture by German troops; Concentration camps.
- The Italian jobs. Johnston, Liz // Bulletin with Newsweek;02/17/98, Vol. 117 Issue 6110, p28
Discusses the long attachment to Australia of some former World War II Italian prisoners of war (POW). Work of POWs on Australian farms; The life of Orfeo Campagner of New South Wales, formerly of Italy; Total number of Italian POWs sent to Australia; Efforts of historian John Hall from the...
- Medical Captives: Australian POW Medical Personnel in World War Two. Hearder, Rosalind // Australasian Science;Nov/Dec2000, Vol. 21 Issue 10, p46
Describes the contribution of the Australian prisoner of war medical personnel during World War II. Working condition of the medical personnel; Actions taken by the medical personnel to address the lack of medical supplies; Professional background of the medical personnel.