Using multimodal texts for assessing pupils' progress in reading
- Every picture tells a story. Sanderson, Rob // English 4--11;Spring2011, Issue 41, p16
The article looks into the use of the wordless picture book "The Chicken Thief," by Beatrice Rodriguez in the classroom. It provides an overview of the story and outlines the characters and their qualities in the story. It offers information on the ways to use the book, the representation of the...
- GRADE 2 Reading Skills Practice Test. // Scholastic News -- Edition 2;Mar2004, Vol. 60 Issue 6, p1
Presents a reading skills practice test for school children.
- Students blame teachers over low test scores. // New York Amsterdam News;10/23/2003, Vol. 94 Issue 43, p20
This month, children in first through third grades are taking a literacy test in New York City. Last year, 61 percent of third-graders to eighth-graders failed the statewide reading test. One of the students says her teacher does not care about that test. Another student says it is not fair to...
- Multicultural Primers for Today's Children. Whipple, Gertrude // Education Digest;Feb1964, Vol. 29 Issue 6, p26
This article reports that in 1962, the Detroit City Schools Reading Program introduced three pre-primers illustrated with multi-racial characters, prepared with the culturally-deprived child in mind. The books had several unique characteristics. From the very beginning, story characters in the...
- Phonics reading check failed by four out of 10 pupils. // School Leadership Today;2012, Vol. 4 Issue 4, p6
The article reports on a phonics reading test among the school children in Great Britain which depicted lower rate of passing of children at the test signifying the help of teachers needed in enhancing the reading skill.
- NO CHILD LEFT BEHIND? // Parenting School Years;Feb2009, Vol. 23 Issue 1, p106
The article reports that 70% of fourth-graders in the U.S. have reading skills below grade level.
- Bringing picture books alive. Hingst, Lisa; Rayner, Gwen // Educating Young Children: Learning & Teaching in the Early Child;Spring2013, Vol. 19 Issue 1, p32
The article discusses the concept of bringing picture books alive which is about sharing quality picture books with children in an entertaining and interactive way. The author reflects on the importance of reading books and telling stories to enhance literacy development and cultivate...
- Headteachers don't trust primary literacy tests, claims expert. Marshall, Michael // Education (14637073);11/25/2005, Issue 201, p2
Reports on the claims of Sir Cyril Taylor, chairman of the Specialist Schools and Academies Trust, that headteachers are skeptical about 11-year-olds' reading skills even if they reach the expected levels in England. Information on the voucher system proposed by Taylor.
- EDITION 4 READING SKILLS PRACTICE TEST. // Scholastic News -- Edition 4;10/5/2009, Vol. 72 Issue 4, p4A
A reading skills practice test for school children is presented.